Cavalier: non-standard sized screws?

Trying to remove the blower motor on my '99 Cavalier, I find (small) cap screws whose (hex) heads appear to be between between 5 and 6 mm. Across the flats, they measure about .217" (~ 5.5 mm). The nearest thing I find to that is 7/32", which seems like an odd size on such a new car. This is a solvable problem, but I find it puzzling. Can anyone shed any light on why this would be?

TIA, George

Reply to
ge

It is likely a specialty socket that is a 5.5 mm. I have a couple of them.

Mike

ge wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Mike Walsh

I don't have a 5.5mm wrench, but do have several 5.5mm sockets so it's apparently not a completely nonstandard size.

nate

Mike Walsh wrote:

in. wrench works fine.

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

My $29 socket set from Sam's Club came with a 5.5mm socket in 1/4" drive.

JazzMan

Mike Walsh wrote:

in. wrench works fine.

Reply to
JazzMan
5.5 mm across the flats is standard for M3 nuts and as smaller metric hardware goes M3 (.118") is pretty standard, the equiv of a #4 (.112")

Larger wrench sets may start at 6mm or even 8mm, but nut driver sets and small "ignition" wrench sets should have a 5.5mm

A 7/32 in. wrench works fine.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel