cavalier+stall

Have a 95 Chevy Cavalier. Stick. 152,000 miles. The thing is stalling out.

In the begining, I was getting some hesitation around 40, 45 mile per hour. Then I noticed the same phenomenon in lower gears and it would happen in spurts, meaning there would be a number of lapses in a row then suddenly it would seem to kick in.

Most recently, the engine has failed to kick in. I'll be driving along and get one of these lapses then the thing will just die and coast to a stop. Sometimes it will start up again. Othertimes I have difficulty getting it started. Might take an hour, and even then it might die again right away.

Sometimes it will die at a stoplight. Othertimes it won't start at all when I hop in.

When I can't get it started, I seem to have better luck if I go away and let it sit awhile.

A previous poster said that it might be the torque convertor but this is a manual car and my Haynes manual is telling me those are found solely in automatics.

Anyway, I thought that with this new information someone would have an idea what's up.

Thank you for your time, Brian

Reply to
denaman

You might want to start with these: (1) Catalytic convertor...maybe plugged (2) Fuel issues.................fuel pump, fuel filter, contamination...On fuel injected cars, decrease in fuel pressure can lead to no start/no run conditions, and vapor lock may also be possible when pressure is lost. Fuel injectors can also stick, fail intermittently etc. (3) Electrical.....................electrical components....loss of ground, ECM breakdown, have even seen ignition switches that heat up and shut off.

Im sure some of the practising mechanics can add to this list.

Reply to
<HLS

This might not be relevent to your vehicle. My LaBaron convertible suffered similar problem. It turned ot to be the magnetic switch in the distributer (for lack of a better word).

Reply to
marks542004