Celica radio vs. ABS computer

Who has some ideas before I REALLY dig in on my kid's car.

1995 Celica in good condition with low-average miles. Recently the ABS check light started coming on, seemingly at random, with a variety of codes such as: Right Front wheel speed. Right Front sensor damaged. Right Rear wheel speed. Stop Light Circuit. Pulled the right front wheel and checked cabling. Visually OK. The other day the ABS light went OUT for a while and the brakes went into ABS mode during normal, conservative driving.

This seems to happen only when the radio is on. It has a sub-wolfer that was professionally installed a year ago.

Reply to
Jack Myers

Sounds like it may have a ground problem.

Check the sub woofers wiring first and make sure it was actually run properly. Also make suer the grounds in the engine compartment are in good shape as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Is the radio ever off in your kid's car?

I suspect that the radio is unrelated to the problem. When the ABS check light is on, see if you get a signal from the RF and RR wheel speed sensors.

Reply to
Ray O

I think you've found your problem. You didn't say but I'm going to assume that the sub-wolfer is amplified to around 100 to 500 watts peak. That means that the amp's power output at 14 vdc is:

100 watts = 7 amps 500 watts = 35 amps

Figure your amp's efficiency at about 50% and you have current draws of about 10.5 and 52.5 amps. These aren't average currents but peak currents drawn by the amp.

This will result in voltage changes on your car's electrical system of several volts, maybe varying 4 to 5 volts (10 to 18 volts). Your charging system can't respond to rapid current draw changes.

Some of these large amps will have huge capacitors across the 12 vdc line to help smooth out the current spikes. Maybe yours has opened up and is no longer working right.

Then again, maybe you have a problem with the ABS that has nothing to do with the radio/wolfer. Take it to the dealer and let them dignose/fix your problem.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Powered subwoofer? If yes, where was the power connection made? Some installers poke a voltage tester into whatever bundle of wires they see first, and pick off their power from there because it's convenient.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

fwiw, my buddy had a 99 Cougar with a professionally installed stereo as well. Turn the radio on... speedo drops to zero and check engine light comes on. Turn the radio off, speedo comes back to life and check engine light goes out.

They apparently had spliced into the wrong wire.

Ray

Reply to
ray

ROTFL!!! I can think of a dozen reasons why this might happen, ranging from electronic noise (interference) to vibrations of from the !"(I#ing sub-woofer causing the wheel speed sensors to vibrate giving false wheel speed readings.

Obviously, the solution is to rip out the sub-woofer and BURN the damn thing. If only every car on the road would malfunction when one of those things was "professionally installed" the world would be a far better (or at least quieter) place.

Reply to
Steve

Replace the battery and make sure the subwoofer is wired directly to the battery. Honda's are known to have weird electrical problems when the battery starts getting weak and that sub will do a number on the electrical system. Put the biggest battery you can fit in the car..

Reply to
Woody

Sounds like the pro installer knows kids pretty well, huh? ;) Who could imagine a kid w/no sound? Hook ABS into radio & ensure they are always in work mode! s

Reply to
sdlomi2