Change Power Steering Fluid

I have a 2002 Ford focus with 27K I recently took it to a mechanic for some scheduled maintenance and he said that the power steering fluid was dirty and should be changed. Several things make me wonder if this true:

  1. I have never changed the power steering fluid on any car I have ever owned in the last 30 years.
  2. The Ford maintenance manual does not say anything about changing this fluid at any of the regular scheduled service intervals.
  3. The steering is not making any noise.

Any thoughts on this?

Reply to
e62836

Your mechanic needs braces for his kid??....

Mike

Mike Romain

I think it's probably a good idea to change power steering fluid and brake fluid every once in a while. It certainly can't hurt, it isn't a lot of work, and if it extends the life of the seals just a little bit it's worth the time and effort.

The manufacturer's recommendations are usually the _bare bones minimum_ you can do and expect your car to keep running.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I believe in changing power steering fluid sooner or later, but three or four years and 27,000 miles would definitely be "sooner" in my opinion. The original poster might want to take a sample with a turkey baster (domestic tranquility as well as health and safety hint: get one from the dollar store and keep it in the garage) and look at it in a clear jar to see if it has in fact gotten dirty in some way or is much changed in appearance compared to new fluid.

It is a vented/sealed system and I'm thinking it shouldn't get contaminated unless it's been under water or something, or somebody left the lid off the reservoir, or the hoses have deteriorated. The last will happen over time; and chemical changes can occur in a hydraulic fluid with time and heat; but still, your car strikes me as being rather too young to worry about that.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Power steering fluid breaks down over time as does any oil. Changing the fluid every 30K will not cost a lot of money and will benefit you in the long run. Servicing the fluid is a lot cheaper than replacing a pump or rac.

Reply to
jfrancis311

It's a very good idea if you plan to keep the car past 100k. The oil gradually becomes contaminated and will gradually deteriorate seals on the rack and pump. A rack replacement is quite expensive, so a few p.s. fluid changes along the way is good insurance.

Reply to
John S.

I don't know what current rates are, but I have changed a couple racks on front wheel drive cars, and I would rather do a hundred fluid changes than ever change a rack again.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yup. A Saab mechanic described the symptoms as morning sickness. The steering doesn't seem to work well in the morning, but gets better as the day progresses and within 6 months the seals are leaking. My daughter handed over $1,000 for a rebuilt rack on her Saab 900 and learned a valuable lesson in maintenance.

Reply to
John S.