Changing studs on F-250

Hi guys!

Has anyone here ever changed the wheel studs on the Dana axle, ford F-250?

The tire guys put on F150 lug nuts (custom) and they bottomed out.....No contact at all with the wheel and hub. I didn't know it till I was pulling a

7K trailer and started breaking studs......

Anyway, I've got the new studs, but they are long, and I need some clearance to get them in. I had to cut the old ones to get them out.

I've heard 3 different solutions:

  1. Take apart the brakes. I *think* there is enough space with the emergency brake cable removed.

  1. Cut the studs 1/2"

  2. Drill a hole in the backing plate.

and one more...

Take apart the axle........

What to do?

Thanks!

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

The ones on my Dana 44 have clearance to pop out. The brakes might need to be moved or the axle turned to one spot though, don't remember. Sure didn't need to pull the axle or backing plate.

If they are too long, I would just get the right ones....

Mike

Mike Romain

They ARE the right ones. The only ones that have the proper knurled diameter. Apparently Ford uses the same ones on the dually, so that's why they are so long.

Guess I'll take off the brakes.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^