Cheapest liability insurance for my old 1978 Dodge van.

IOWs, collector car insurance. From what you describe, yours wouldn't qualify.

I have J.C. Taylor insurance for my 'cuda and am familiar with what they cover and what they exclude.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

We don't pay property tax for vehicles here in Texas, AFAIK. At least not in this part of the state.

If you have a classic, and parts/labor are likely to be exorbitant, you will have to get special insurance if you want "collision/comprehensive".

Cuhulin is not the owner of such a car.

The driver's record is an important part of the equation, for liability..

In my case, my provider (Beacon) gave me a special deal if I would take car insurance and house insurance from them in a bundle.

AARP's Hartford had better car rates, perhaps, but refused to insure our

80 year old house as they feared electrical might not be up to standard and because we have a fireplace/chimney, even though it is not used.

Therefore, we went with Beacon as it was a better overall deal.

I did not even insure my 97' Dodge van for collision and comprehensive. It is only worth maybe $3000-3500, and the insurance is beginning to be prohibitive..

Cuhulin, if you want a good van, take a look at mine. It could be for sale, but I wont give it away.

Reply to
HLS

JC Taylor requires that you have another car with equal or better coverage covered by another insurance agency.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

T'is true that you are only supposed to drive for events or to the mechanics or whatever with the collector insurance. Luckily in my area there is something going on every day just about so if I got in to an accident I could just say I was going there or say I was going to the mechanic or something. I know a couple of people covered by Taylor who have had claims and no questions were ever asked BUT they didn't hit a bus full of pregnant nuns either.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I know the difference between liability, comprehensive, full coverage, etc. I don't know how much more comprehensive would add to the $149.00 liability insurance which I paid for today for my 1978 Dodge van.Maybe next week I will phone their office and ask about that.I have insurance for my old made in 1947 house, I might phone that insurance company too.

I own a 1914 Model T Ford Runabout Roadster car I bought in November

1971 for $1,800.I bought the car from a guy in Sioux Falls,South Dakota, he and his wife were moving to Minneapolis, they couldn't take the car with them.My old T Model Ford sits in my big old shed in my back yard.I guess I ought to buy some insurance for the car.I also own a 1948 Willys Jeep I bought for $300.00 from a guy who lives in a litle town about fifteen miles from me.The Jeep is worn out, it was worn out when I bought it, I might get around to working on it somday.The guy I bought the Jeep from said the engine has two burnt valves.I can buy parts from
and similar places that deal with old Jeeps.And I own a made in Germany Hercules 1961 Moped with sixteen original miles on it, the moped has bicycle wheels on it, but I have gotten way too fat over the years for my moped.I don't think anybody would want to steal my Jeep, The tires are badly dryrotted and one of them won't hold air.my Moped has dryrotted flat tires, the transmission cover gasket leaks.It would be hard for anybody to steal my T Model Ford because I have the wheels and radiator and fenders and lights and the carbide generator and windshield and the turtle deck trunk and some other parts stored in my house and I am always here 99 point 99 percent of the time. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

Right, but many other states do. My comment was a reminder for those in such states, that they can potentially save a bit if their vehicle is worth less than the base blue book value.

Some companies are really strange in what panics them, and it doesn't seem to be consistent between companies.

Right, at some point the payout you'd get for damage to the vehicle would barely be above the deductible.

Reply to
Pete C.

Cuhulin, a point which I approached, but probably did not make very well, is that you can often bundle car and home insurance together with the same company and get a good discount. That is what I did.

Reply to
HLS

You may be able to get a reduction in valuation for taxes based on vehicle condition where you are but, here in GA, they use the highest NADA valuation for your line of vehicle regardless of equipment, condition or mileage - keeps the ad valorem taxes higher that way.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I hope it has a hand crank and spoked wheels, otherwise you're not likely to make a sale to this guy.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

My 1914 Model T Ford car has a hand crank and wood spoke wheels.The old engine starts up real easy too.I get the engine running and shut it off, if one of the pistons is near the top and still has some gas in it, all I have to do is turn the key again and the engine starts right on up.I can set the spark advance lever a certain way and kick one of the front tires and the engine will start up, if the engine is still warm. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin