Check engine light

Hi,

My wife has a 2000 Tracker with 40k miles. The "check engine soon" light is on steady. I checked the manual, and it says this is an indication that something is wrong with the emissions system. The engine is running smooth with no obvious problems.

I don't have a repair manual. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check or change before bending over at the dealers? I try to do my own repairs, but all I know about fixing warning lights is to stick a piece of duct tape over it.

Thanks for any help,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

With only 40K on the thing - I would guess that you are under warantee for the emissions. If not, find someone with an OBD-II scanner, either a mechanic or s a friend - if you live in Mpls area, I could do it for you. This will tell you what needs to be fixed/replaced.

Andrew

John Shepards>Hi,

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Make sure the gas cap is tight...that can cause it to come on...

Reply to
Z.Z.

Thanks,

I'm in CA, and the gas cap is on tight. The gas tank has been refilled, and she has put a couple of hundred miles on it since, and the light is still on.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

You should still be under the emissions warranty, so go to the dealer.

Reply to
Bob M.

You could just run it till you fail your first CA smog test, but by then, you may have a really bad problem.

Again, check your warranty, read the diagnostic code and see the dealer, as it likely will be covered.

If that's not acceptable, then maybe after she refills the gas tank a few hundred times, the light will burn out and your troubles are over. Or, like you said, you could use duct tape to cover the light.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Price

If you have an Autozone around they will usually read the code for you for free. If not check with other auto parts stores...

Reply to
BillW