Check engine light at warm up

Could someone give me an idea what could cause the check engine light to come on if I let the car run for five minutes or so to warm up. The light does go out once traveling a mile or so down the road at regular speed. Coolant is full. 1988 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8 Thank you

Reply to
Pinball 1

A number of things could cause it, but it is pointless to guess, since the car's computer will give some very worthwhile clues for things to check first. Why waste time (and money, on replacing parts) trying to puzzle it out without first interrogating the computer?

Reply to
Mark Olson

See

for instructions on pulling trouble codes, that will give you an idea what is going on.

Reply to
Robert Hancock