Check Engine Light -Catalytic Converter

I drive a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 110,000 miles.

I had my check engine light go on a few months ago and a code that indicated a catalytic converter problem. The light was inconsistent for a period of several weeks with it sometimes being off for a few hours or even a few days.

I had a mechanic do a diagnostic and recieved an estimate for $650 to replace the converter. I balked at paying this, especially after doing some research and seeing that there are a variety of factors that could be causing this problem.

While having my oil changed, I bought the fuel injector cleaning special. The mechanic told me I really needed the cleaning judging by the amount of smoke he observed..

To my suprise, the check engine light was outright after the cleaning and stayed out for over three months. I thought me problems were solved for $39.95.

Unfortunately, the light went back on last week.

Any opinions on this? What would the partial solution obtained by cleaning the fuel injectors indicate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Reply to
tdzik

That it wasn't a solution, partial or otherwise.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 wrote in news:nonelson- snipped-for-privacy@news.chi.sbcglobal.net:

I don`t find that to be so. he could have had poor injector spray that caused the converter to work too hard and start to degrade. then the cleaning corrected the problem but the converter continued to degrade untill it once again could not do the job. KB PS I have long said to throw a can of cheep cleaner in the tank every month or so to prevent the injectors from getting that bad.

Reply to
Kevin

It would have set a rich or lean code, not a catalytic converter code.

Or simply, the oxygen sensor monitors didn't run because of the ambient temperatures during the time when the light was off after the supposed fix.

It's not a GM product.

Reply to
aarcuda69062