Check Engine light on Honda Civic Hybrid: IMA battery temperature sensor

2008 Civic Hybrid. IMA battery light and Check Engine light are both on whe never there's somewhat high electric load such as running AC and with head light on. IMA was replaced last year so it's under warranty. But the dealer says its accessories such as its temperature sensor are not part of the wa rranty. If I bring the car in, $104 diagnostics fee will be charged up fron t.

Using scanner to check the Check Engine code. It's P0A9E "Hybrid Battery Te mperature Sensor A Ciruit High". According to a Youtube video, it doesn't l ook that hard to replace the sensor. But a few shops I call (not dealers) a ll say they don't work on it.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Is it really the IMA temperature sensor?

Reply to
yong321

Maybe. Or maybe the battery is overheating. Or maybe there is a connector problem. The fact that it's coming on under a high load would make it more likely that it's actually a battery issue. Still, you can swap out the temperature sensor and see, or you can stick a thermometer in the battery pack.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Measure the resistance of the sensors and see what they show. The code is telling you one is reading as a higher resistance than it should. So if you check circuit A and it reads 200K but you check circuit B and it shows 100K at the same temperature then you have found the problem.

If it's only happening under high loads I would try unplugging the sensor and plugging it back in a few times. Could simply be that some crud or moisture got in there and caused corrosion which causes the higher resistance.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve and Scott. Unfortunately I have problem finding the way to acc ess this thing. I can't even find a repair manual anywhere on IMA. If you h ave a few pages of the manual, would you scan and post here? (To be honest, my car repair experience was severely outdated. I worked on cars a lot whe n I was a college student many years ago.)

Yong

Reply to
yong321