chevy 305 freeze plug locations

I have been trying to locate all the freeze plugs in my engine it's a 1987 chevy g20 305 engine. It's leaking water close to the head was told that the block is craked but the two freeze plugs on either side if the so called crack are still there, Help not sure what is the problem.

Reply to
arsadams

I dont understand what you are trying to say.

Freeze plugs have nothing to do with the block crack, necessarily.

They are not there to protect the block if you let the coolant freeze. 'Freeze plug' is a phrase that goes back a long time, and their purpose is still misunderstood by some.

Those holes are in the block so that the casting sand cores can be removed after the engine block is poured from molten metal. The core is washed out, and the holes are closed with 'Welch plugs', aka freeze plugs.

If you count on them to save your block, you will end up walking.

Reply to
<HLS

That's actually what they are for, they are intended to save ur block. They don't work most the time and wouldn't rely on it but that is what they are intended for the guy above me is just an angry moron

Reply to
Smarter than that retard above me

Cheap auto companies use steel, which can rust out. Nuisance. Always replace them with brass. Last one I did was my 1950 Chevy -- when I was

4 or 5 months pregnant in the mid 60s. We were giants in those days...
Reply to
The Real Bev

You are still a giant.

Reply to
root

I can't see who posted what above you, because it wasn't quoted and isn't available to view otherwise.

Did you mean the link in your signature?

It seems like the posts to this forum coincide with the ones on Usenet... interesting.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to find the freeze plugs for the 305 engine on my '86 C10. I lost the key; system full of water from summer. I drained the radiator, but I have no clue how much water was left in the block.

Reply to
Michael Trew

No.

Reply to
Ken Olson

Probably enough to cause cracks in the lifter gallery . BTDT with a

283 . And a heads up , they may call them freeze plugs , but they ain't . Those holes are to support the cores that form the water jackets when they cast the block . Usual scenario is that the outside freezes first , which may or may not push out a plug . Then the water on the inside has nowhere to expand to , and cracks the block horizontally under the deck . I'll be getting my block back this week , if you ain't in a rush I'll post the number and location of the plugs .
Reply to
Snag

I'm not even going to touch the thing until spring. Whatever damage could be done, has been done; we've had zero degree nights. When you get around to it, I'll reference and save it; thanks!

Reply to
Michael Trew