Chevy 5.3 liter no-start problem

Background: Car ran fine, but needed the knock sensors replaced. (turned out that mice had chewed through all the wires under the intake manifold, where the sensors are located).

Installed the sensors, new sensor wiring harness, and mended either the crankshaft, or the camshaft positioner sensor wire that had also been chewed through. This was a connector with a single wire only.

Put everything back together, hooked up the battery, tried to start the car and I immediately hear a "click" and everything went dead. No headlights, no horn, no dash lights etc. Power seat works.

Note that the battery has been disconnected for at least 10 days while I've been working on the truck and waiting for parts.

Is this an "anti-theft" issue since the battery has been disconnected for so long?

Is there a breaker under the dash (or somewhere) that tripped?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Sounds like the mice did some more damage. The no start sounds like either a bad fuse or bad connection. Single wire sensor wouldn't be cam or crank sensor. Could be temp or knock sensor though.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve W. The paradox is that the car ran fine until I decided to dig into the knock sensor issue. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Waited a few hours and the electrical system is back on. Headlights, instrument panel etc. all on. When turning the key to start "click" and system is again dead. Suspect 'theft deterrent' system. Had major problems before. Next time system comes back on I will try to read codes prior to trying to start. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You sure you don't have a loose connection with a fusible link at the starter, or a junction block, or near one of the battery cables? When this happens, turn the key on, turn the wipers on, and then start moving wires around, including by the starter. When the wipers start moving, you're in the right area.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

I suspect a bad battery or dirty battery terminals. Jump the battery and see.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

That isn't how the anti-theft operates. Everything will work but it shuts off the fuel pump and ignition and the starter is taken off line.

It sounds more like a bad connection or bad battery.

Reply to
Steve W.

Did you damage the ground wire at the rear of the head Or perhaps it has rotted off?

Take a set of jumper cables and connect the ground from the battery to the block.

Reply to
Steve W.

Okay, finally after 6 hours, everything has reset. Decided to read codes b efore trying to start. No codes were shown. Had friend stand at the winds hield and tried to start the truck. Same results but he confirmed that the loud click is coming from the engine side of the firewall. Everything dea d again.

BUT, will try my battery connection again. It is the only part of the elec trical circuit I played with upon disassembly. (removed the negative batter y cable). All other things I unplugged were sensors and the connectors to t he fuel injectors. Will report back in the morning.

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. Very kind of you.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary