Chevy lumina 1993 frint seat removal

I have a 1993 lumina four door which has a broken front drivers door outside handle. After a few days the inside handle stopped working as well.

I was told to remove the door liner to get at the latch and that I would have to remove the drivers seat to get enough clearance to do so. The drivers seat is not powered but does not have much adjustment front to rear.

I have the front bolts out but I don't see any bolts at the rear of the track.

Can anyone tell me where the rear bolts are located ?

Alternatively , how do I get the door open with neither handle working ?

A local repair shop quoted me over $200 to fix it and at the moment that is not an option.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
marks542004

On a 4 door you don't need to remove the seat to work on the door handles.

You need to pull the inner panel off the DOOR -

and then repair the handles.

Steve W.

lol Might wana read the post again!!!

Reply to
the will

I can not get the door open and there does not seem to be enough clearance to remove the inner panel with the door closed.

Reply to
marks542004

remove the inner panel with the door closed.

AMuzi

nce to remove the inner panel with the door closed.

lol And you also need to read the post again!!! Damn.

Reply to
the will

the will wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

The video shows a locksmith-type guy opening the door from the windowsill trim area using what appears to be a coat-hanger. I take it that this is a suggestion from Andrew. If so, it's a good one.

The pro's use a small wedge to lever the trim away from the door so they can more easily see inside the door while maneuvering the Slim Jim.

Once the door is open, it is no longer necessary to remove the seat.

Reply to
Tegger

There are two screws/nuts in the back of the seat also. There might be plastic covers over them or carpet over them. They are going to be at the back of the track. One on each side.

Once you get the panel off, you will be able to pull on the release rod that comes from the inner handle. If the release rod came loose from the latch assembly, you'll have to get a flashlight and find the little arm the rod hooks to on the latch assembly and pull it with pliers.

When you have the inner panel off you could take the outer handle off. (unbolts from the inside of the door) Once you have it off, you'll see the release rod for that one. Pull it and the door should open.

Reply to
the will

lol I take it that the OP's door isn't locked! Hello!

Reply to
the will

ok, thanks for the replies , I will have another look and see if there is a ny track under the carpet.

The door is not locked, so I did not know if a wire could be used to open t he latch.

Reply to
marks542004

any track under the carpet.

If you can't find any bolts/nuts on the inside, look for them from underneath the car. I think they're on the inside, but not sure.

Reply to
the will

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Go to

Find the Repair Help > Vehicle Repair Guides menus.

Register with AZ. After that, you can access the free auto-repair guides. I found that they have seat-removal instructions for your car, including diagrams.

The text of the instructions reads as follows:

1) Operate the seat to the full-forward position (full-forward and full-up if six way power seat). 2) Remove the track covers and front anchor bolts. 3) Operate the seat to the full-rearward position. 4) Remove the rear anchor bolts. 5) Unplug the electrical connectors (six way power seats). 6) With an assistant, lift the seat out of the vehicle making sure the spacer washers remain in place.

It doesn't matter if the door is locked or not. Either way it can be opened from the top, between the glass and the trim. AAA does it every minute of every day of every year.

Reply to
Tegger

You really should look into using a slim jim to open the door. Driving the car to a locksmith might be worth the 20 bucks or so he'll charge to open the door. If he can't do it, then pull the seat. There's nothing too difficult about pulling the seat, if it's the same as the '97. My son pulled the collapsed bench seat on my '97 and put Pontiac buckets in. We replaced the power window regulator/motor on that door, but I can't remember what the latch linkage looked like. If my son remembers I'll post it a bit later. He's supposed to call me soon.

Reply to
Vic Smith

He said the '93 is probably different. Can't say about the door latch, but the '97 has bolts on the seat rails both back and front. Some GM's, like his wife's '94 Caddy, has front bolts only. Remove them, tilt whole seat back, slide seat forward, it will pop out of the grooves/notches. Or just get the book on the car. Sorry I can't help more.

Reply to
Vic Smith