Chevy Prizm: cold stalls

Recently bought a 2000 Chevy Prizm, with the three-speed automatic transmission. 21,000 miles on it. Nice little car, for my college student daughter.

Strange behavior: after it sits long enough to get cold... it starts just fine... but when it's put in gear, and the accelerator pedal is pushed, it just does nothing, for a few seconds.... then it wakes up, and goes. After a couple of minutes, it's just fine.

Any ideas about this? Suggestions for something I can look at, in lieu of taking it back to the dealer (CarMax, who will undoubtedly say that it is operating within factory specifications)?

Thanks - d.g.f.

Reply to
d.g.f.

"d.g.f." wrote in news:Xns940EDB2E98D7Ddgfswbellnet@151.164.30.94:

I would definitely try changing the transmission fluid, and making sure it is filled to the correct level (see the manual for correct procedure to check the level). The transmission is still new enough that if it did have the incorrect fluid and/or level, it may not be permanently damaged.

-Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Narvaes

The auto transmission fluid is a little high, but otherwise in great shape. How would this produce the stalling symptoms I described?

Thanks - d.g.f.

Daniel Narvaes wrote in news:Xns940F66E05468Fskidamarinkydinkydin@65.196.203.138:

Reply to
d.g.f.

Take it to the dealer ASAP. It could be still under warranty.

If it's someth>Recently bought a 2000 Chevy Prizm, with the three-speed automatic

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

"d.g.f." wrote in news:Xns9410D9C3D1148dgfswbellnet@151.164.30.93:

If the fluid level is too high, moving parts could dip into it, causing air bubbles and froth, and if air gets in where there is supposed to be fluid, that could be bad.

-Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Narvaes