Chevy truck transmission fluid level problem

I bought my 1996 Chevy 1500 about 3 months ago. When I first checked the transmission fluid level I followed the owner's manual instructions explicitly and concluded that it was about a pint overfilled. However, I had to measure it about 10 times to come to that conclusion. I siphoned off about that much and think I got it down to the correct level(as well as I could read the level). We are going on a trip and I checked it again. I was darn near impossible to read. The level is just not clear. The long shaft that holds the dip stick is at an angle and takes a bend. In the process of removing it, you drag out some of the fluid so when you reinsert it, you pick up some of the fluid further up the stick. I did it over and over and finally guessed that it was down about a 1/2 pint. A little at a time( and checking over and over) I added about a pint before it appeared(a guess) to be up to the right level. I'm still not sure it is right. Has anyone figured out how to check this level accurately and be sure it is correct? I have two GM sedans and there is no problem with them.

Reply to
jplasater