Chevy venture: adding roof racks?

I got a 2004 venture basic model without roof racks. I can find tons of them in the boneyard with roof racks. I need to haul some ladders around.

So, how do the roof racks attach? There are no holes in the roof of mine without racks. Do they just self tap into a structure? or do the models with roof racks have more structure under the roof?

So can i grab a junkyard unit and drill holes to have it self tap into the under roof structure without it leaking?

bob

Reply to
bob

I'm sure the supports are there for the roof rack. Just look when you remove the roof rack from the junker how they are drilled etc. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

Having "tons of them in the boneyard" gives you quite the advantage. If you figure out how to take one off, you'll know how it goes on. Find the crappiest Venture, and strip out the headliner to see if there are supports or cage-nuts or what.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Get the rack, make sure you get one that is complete and grab a couple extra cross bars while you're there.

To attach them GM uses simple metric riv-nuts into the sheet metal with foam gaskets around the attachment points. There are no supports under most of them.

Clean the area, drill. install the riv-nuts, apply some silicone and install the rack. Keep in mind that most of the racks are only rated for

100-200 pounds (basically what the roof can handle)

You don't have to use the factory size bolts, 1/4-20 riv-nuts and bolts.

Reply to
Steve W.

cringe. thanks for reminding me why i don't buy gm.

Reply to
jim beam

Pretty much the same for all the current brands. A few with thinner roofs have a second skin of sheet under there but not many.

Reply to
Steve W.

then i'm glad i drive old clunkers. mine has the rack mounts built into the gutter from factory. reinforced, sealed, and hidden under a plastic strip until required. and most definitely not a riv-nut in sight.

Reply to
jim beam