Chrysler refuses recall request

I can if I leave myself an escape route, yes. Even if I can't dodge it completely, by leaving myself space (yes: even at stop lights) I can mitigate the collisions.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Nope.

YOUR claim: YOU support it.

Reply to
Alan Baker

uh-oh....here comes another Usenet gun debate

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

It's not a safe world. We're all going to die someday.

Sometimes I feel bad for Bob Pease... if he had been driving a modern vehicle instead of a Bug he probably wouldn't have been killed. But, you have to die someday, and he died at the wheel of a Bug which is a pretty fine and honorable way to go.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

From: Alan Baker

Reply to
gpsman

So just so I understand you, you're saying you dispute my claim that you can leave yourself escape routes from rear-end collisions?

Reply to
Alan Baker

Since I drove a '64 Bug for years, I looked this up out of curiosity. Didn't see a picture of the accident scene, but the report I saw said he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. Might not have mattered. He may have died from a heart attack or stroke anyway, causing him to leave the road. I first wore seat belts in the Bug. Mostly because my best bud rolled his car, got tossed out, and the car cut off his legs, killing him. Two other guys with him were tossed out, and had no injuries. But I liked the belt pretty quick, because during hard cornering it locks you down and makes control easier. You can't drive by the seat of your pants when the pants are disconnected from the car. One time a buddy took a corner hard in his '58 Chevy with slick bench seats, and he was in my lap on the passenger side. Scary. There's a lot you can do to make driving safer, but shit happens. Car comes barreling through a red, you're toast. Semi in the opposite direction loses a wheel, and it comes through your windshield at a combined speed of 140 mph. You're toast. Whoever said you can avoid getting tail-ended at speed hasn't been around the block. Happened to me when traffic stopped and the guy behind me wasn't paying attention. I had no way out. A guy in Chicago was walking on a boulevard sidewalk. A passing Caddy lost a heavy hubcap, and the thing rolled a bit, bounced off the curb, and hit the walker in the head, killing him. Sure, it's good to be cautious, but it won't always work. Lots of ways to get your ticket cashed in.

Reply to
Vic Smith

>> ode=source

IIRC I was taught in driver's ed lo these many years ago and also read the advice from Vic Elford (IIRC?) to whenever possible when stopped at a light to leave enough space between you and the car in front of you to turn sharply and move onto the shoulder, into the median, etc. if necessary. Obviously if there is a curb or you are in the middle lane of a 3+ lane street this won't help you, but in short, yes, there are options that good driving practices open up of which most motorists don't take advantage.

In many, many miles of driving, however, I've been rear-ended twice and unfortunately once was while first in line waiting to turn out of a parking lot onto a busy road (so I wasn't able to move forward at all without creating a greater risk) and the other was while sitting still in stop and go traffic in the middle lane of a highway, and TBH in that instance I don't recall whether I had the option of changing lanes and letting the guy in front of me take the hit as I didn't see the other motorist coming in my mirror - my attention was directed in front of me and nothing unusual presented itself in my last mirror check. Which is a lesson in and of itself; apparently that day I wasn't checking my mirrors often enough, and also a reminder that even if you're sitting perfectly still a mirror check every now and then is in order.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hey: I never claimed you can prevent people from running into you in every situation...

Reply to
Alan Baker

maybe in the past, but that's not been the case lately. the toyota witch hunt was straight off the steps of the whitehouse. nothing but a good old fashioned chicago shakedown. completely disgusting.

and further back, frod should have been soundly spanked over the exploder fiasco, and executives jailed. instead, the media slavishly regurgitated frod's corporate defense b.s. that it was all a tire problem - utterly unconscionable imo.

Reply to
jim beam

don't try to confuse the guy with fact checking - he's already decided what he thinks he knows and that's that.

Reply to
jim beam

LOL

A guy offers up a standard evasion...

...pretty much coincident in time with telling me that I have to support my claims...

...and you eat it up!

Reply to
Alan Baker

Get back to us if/when your ability to read returns. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

possibly. I learned to tune them out.

Except there was a manufacturing quality issue with the tires. I don't know how much I should be saying on the intertubes, but it came from an engineer who dealt with finding out what was wrecking the manufacturing equipment.

Reply to
Brent

doesn't matter. a flat tire is a normal operating event. no vehicle should roll because of that. period. frod knew they did from prototype onward. frod knew the cabins crushed. and they decided to manufacture anyway because the vehicle was so cheap to make, it was their highest margin seller. THAT is why frod executives should be jailed - they decided to kill americans because it was more profitable than correcting the known flaws for lass than $100 per vehicle.

irrelevant smoke screen. it doesn't matter if the tires were defective

- the vehicle shouldn't roll.

Reply to
jim beam

So then you're NOT disputing me?

It's one or the other.

Reply to
Alan Baker

your false claims are completely delusional.

Reply to
jim beam

Either he disputes my position, or he does not.

And don't get your knickers all in a twist.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Just tell us how you reliably predict the path of the approaching motorist; that they will not zig or zag in the direction you have chosen for your escape. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

So then you're suggesting that there is no point in applying any proactive defensive driving techniques?

See: I'm not saying one will always succeed in avoiding collisions by having escape routes. That's a strawman you've erected.

Reply to
Alan Baker