Chunk of "something" in the alternator?

We were in the midst of doing a quickie alternator change the other day, had pulled the new one out of the box, and were getting ready to swap the fan over, when I heard a rattle from inside the new one. I turned it over a couple of times, and could see though the holes in the case what looked like a small pebble. It was too big to just fall out, so I pulled the regulator/brush holder and shook it out through that hole. I didn't feel like pulling the new alt all the way apart to look inside, as it was right at the end of the day, plus I didn't want to possibly mess up anything that might jeopardize a "warranty return".

The piece is triangular, like a slice of pie. Maybe 3/4" long, 1/2" wide, 1/4" thick. Very hard, possibly ceramic. Almost white, but with a greyish tinge and flecks of darker mixed in. Top and bottom surfaces are flat, the two long sides are curved slightly inwards, as if someone had pinched it with their fingers, but very symmetrical. The sides are also sloped a bit, making the top surface smaller than the bottom. All edges are rounded, and all surfaces are shiny, as if it's been put through one of those old "rock polisher" things. No markings, logos, holes, indentations, or glue residue. Nothing to suggest whether it belongs in there, or got dropped in during assembly. Very strange.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

one of those old

You hit closer than you ralize. That sounds very much like a piece of abrasive from one of the vibrating polisher vats that cheap-ass "remanufacturers" run all the core alternator, starter, and water pump cases through to clean them up prior to reassembly. Who knows what else wouldn't pass a kindergarten QA test in that "remanufactured" alternator?

Reply to
Steve

Check this site, a few pages down under "ceramic media," to see some drawings of the shapes of abrasive media chunks that I'm talking about:

Steve

"Steve" wrote

Woo-hoo! I think we may have a winner.

I followed your clue, and let Google Images lead me farther, and found...

3rd line down in the middle, but a bit more like his blue buddy to the left, with 2 equal sides and 1 slightly shorter. Just variations on a theme?

Maybe the rebuilders left it there on purpose, because they knew we'd find it, and could use it to repolish the slip rings when they get a little worn a few years down the road. Yeah, that must be it. Uh-huh. Right. Sure.

Reply to
MasterBlaster