Clean way to drain oil?

Is there any tool or device that allows me to remove an oil drain plug (a hex nut) without used oil splashing all over the wrench and my hand, and then having to fish for the drain plug in the oil pan?

Reply to
james

I have an oil pan made by "Blitz" that has a little screen in the top of it to catch the drain plug when it falls out. It works "OK" but is of the quality you'd expect from a $5 FLAPS drain pan. I mostly use it because it's lower profile than a standard pan, therefore I can use it under the 944 without jacking it up.

Alternately, I believe Fumoto still sells little ball valves that replace your drain plug, but I have to wonder if those don't leave a little more oil in the bottom of the pan than just removing the plug.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Get it started with the wrench then use your fingers for the rest of the way. Just pay attention and hold onto it as you unscrew it. I just keep pressure on the plug until I'm sure it's unscrewed all of the way then quickly remove it.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Wear disposable gloves to help keep your hands clean when you change the oil and oil filter. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Oh, dear. It usually winds up going into the pan...then we go fishing.

The best one was, the other day I was drining the oil from the filter, then did the last few threads and SPLASH! right into the pan. The only good thing was the splash went away from me.

Must have been a good day. Any other day I'd have been drenched...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I just wipe my hand/wrench off with a rag. But since you asked, I suppose you could use some tape on a box end wrench or socket used to spin off the plug - to keep the plug from dropping. Maybe a magnet on the box end to keep the plug stuck to the wrench. Still get some oil on the wrench, but it's a baby step towards your goal.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

You could try one of those oil pump things that go down the dipstick. I don;t know if they are any good or not.

Reply to
Paul

I was given one of the dog-bone multi wrenches. It has 4 different sized sockets on each end that lock in place and a magnet to grab the drain plug. Being a cheap tool I figured it was another POS gimmick. Surprised me it really does the job and I went and picked up a second of both the standard and the metric version. They hang on the drain cart now. May buy a couple for the OH S&*t kit.

Same tool here.

Steve W.

"james" wrote in news:guvh75$7i1$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

The only real trick is to keep your elbow higher than your hand when you're unscrewing it the final few turns to stop the oil flowing on your arm. Oil's good for you, it shows you're a kid at heart and not afraid to get your hands dirty. If you can do it without getting anything else dirty and not drop the bolt, you've graduated.

Reply to
fred

When you get the bolt backed out a few threads, tie a string around it, the other end of the string tied to something else. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Wratchet with socket should cure the fishing detail.

Reply to
genius

How?

Reply to
E. Meyer

I use an old gavanized tub when I change oil and filter.I let the oil plug and oil and oil filter drop into the tub on purpose.Then I let the rest of the oil drain into the tub while I fish out the plug and clean it off with gasoline.Then I replace the plug and screw on a new oil filter and then put in some fresh oil.It always works great for me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

s"

Hold the socket flush against the pan while removing. Once the plug comes out, keep socket facing upwards and plug should be in the socket. Or am I missing something here???

Reply to
genius

ius"

Many drain plugs have a flange, so the head of the plug won't fall down into the socket, it'll just sit on the end of it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

enius"

Ahhh, excellent point. I have not seen one of those in a while and my vehicles, the plug looks like a bolt.

Reply to
genius

Bring it to Jiffy Lube or some other place.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

he asked how to keep clean, not how to get ripped off and have your car damaged.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Somebody in this newsgroup once posted something about a guy who took his car to an auto shop.Something about the oil pan plug threads were stripped.The mechanic put a spark plug in there. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

LOL. Some kids first job I bet.