Clicking sound from clutch pedal when depressed a little

Hi there,

I have a Mazda 626 '91 with manual transmission. Today the clutch pedal started clicking when engaged/disengaged.

The source of the sound seems to be rather close to the pedal itself, although it is rather hard to pinpoint exactly.

Past winter at low outside temperatures the clutch pedal gave a lot of resistance, which is probably due to ice crystals in the clutch fluid. As the car warmed up the resistance went back to normal.

Now, a couple of weeks ago the clutch almost stopped working (I could barely change the gears), and it turned out that the fluid reservoir was empty. Once I added more fluild the clutch pedal started to work again. Since then the pedal was becoming more and more firm, I think due to the air bubbles somehow escaping and the system is returning to the normal state.

However, now the pedal started clicking. Any ideas of what this could be? My hope is that more air bubbles will escape, and the clicking will go away.

Any ideas what this clicking noise is? If it does not go away, what should I do to fix it?

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
mrpresident0002

Look at where the clutch pedal is bolted, make sure the

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Could it be the switch that disengages the cruise control if the clutch is depressed?

Professor

Professor

This could be true. Today in broad daylight I was able to take a careful look at the mechanism above the clutch pedal.

I also found some pieces of blueish somewhat glassy plastic on the carpet which used to form a small head of a nail type of object.

It appears that the sound comes from a white thin stick like button around which parts of the clutch lever go.

Probably since the broken piece is made of rather weak material, the problem is not critical, however, the sound is extremely annoying.

How is this thing called properly and how easy would it be to fix it?

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
mrpresident0002

Well, I unscrewed the thin panel covering the clutch lever mechanism from below. Indeed, the hole through which the white stick button now goes through had some blueish plastic pieces sticking to it. As the clutch is depressed/released the white stick of the button is grabbed a little, but then it snaps with a click.

If I cannot find the very same item, I can just probably screw a small nut and a bolt to the lever, in order to make them push the button properly.

This group is a great resource, so in order to make the problem description complete here is another ancient by now post that seems to have described the same problem:

Mike

Reply to
mrpresident0002