Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

Went on a long ride on the REI Randonne Saturday and man does my butt hurt!

I def need dedicated cycle shorts rather than wearing long jeans wit no padding.

However....since all my bike riding will be touring..... do you guys prefer TIGHT padded touring shirts over the looser style mt bike cut shorts? For touring type riding?

Also.... if Pearl Izumi worth that extra cost premium? Or can one find just as good padded shorts less cost?

Also..... I want some kind of polyester VERY light shell such as a vest or jacket. You guys prefer jackets WITH zip off sleeves or just a vest and use arm warmers when needed?

Thanks guys!!

Reply to
me

Form fitting clothes best for cycling but even with a little padding in the shorts, I would have to toughen up my butt with a few short rides at the start of warm weather. Wind resistance is important and while you don't need to look like a racer, you don't want your clothes catching the wind and slowing you down. Always wear a helmet and I recommend cycling shoes, toe clips and padded cycling gloves. These things need not be expensive and there should be good mail order shops.

Reply to
Frank

If you haven't been on long rides for a while you might look at mountain bike shorts with a bit extra padding.

Shirts or shorts??? LOL!

For casual touring no matter the distance, a little loose.

There are lots of brands, but good cycling shorts won't be found under a no-name brand at Target. A good LBS is worth it's weight on gold for the excellent advice they can give, so give yours a try.

Excellent advice from Frank. For cruising I much prefer good pedals with clips to clipless.

Reply to
John S.