Clunking noise in the rear trunk: Mazda 626

Hi folks,

Recently My 2000 Mazda 626 produces clunking noise around the rear trunk especially over the bumping roads or the road is not so flat. It is like the metal clunking each other.The noise is very loudly from inside. I checked inside the trunk while my friend was driving the car and couldn't find what produces the noise rather than it comes from near the upper suspension. I guess it must be something wrong with suspension? But I still feel it is OK while driving the car. My friend said it might be the rubber part on the suspension is broken. I don't know. Is there anyone have experienced this before and know the solution? Please also estimate the price to repair this...

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

Ace

Reply to
Aceh^Texas

=================== See if you have a loose or missing stabilizer bar bushing

Reply to
Daniel

I just checked the stabilizer bar bushing (sway bar bushing) and they seems good (tight). Any other possibilities?

Thanks for your share..

Ace

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
Aceh^Texas

Reply to
sprayboy27

Check for anything loose, or any missing/damaged rubber at the shock mount points, both upper and lower. (and on both sides, unles you've managed to isolate it to one side only)

With the car parked, bounce the back end up and down (have your buddy do the bouncing so you can watch) like you're checking to see if the shocks are any good, and watch for any motion between the shock mounts and the body - again, at both the top and bottom end, and on both sides. Any kind of play in either place is the most likely source for the noise it sounds like you're trying to describe.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Thanks

I've tried bouncing the car up and down when parked as hard as we can, but there is no such sound. The noise only comes up while driving on the bumping road. I slip underneath the car this afternoon and all muffler hangers are good. I'll keep investigating anyway.

Ace

Reply to
Aceh^Texas

Okay how about this one: gas tank baffles? Yes, it's pretty unlikely, but all the likely ones have been taken already.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Check to see if it is Jimmy Hoffa.

(otherwise I'd reach under the car and kick the exhaust system just for thrills, and see if it goes "clunk")

Reply to
phaeton