Clutch Replacement

Is there a list anywhere of vehicles with 'easy' to replace clutches? I have some basic automotive knowledge and would like to get a vehicle with a clutch that I can replace myself (obviously labor is rediculously expensive). This would be my first vehicle (besides a motorcycle). Also, any vehicles that get more mileage to a clutch than others? Any I should watch out for? Thanks.

Doug

Reply to
kb1jec

Also should have mentioned i'm looking at used vehicles in the mid-90s (1992-1998 lets say).

Reply to
kb1jec

Don't do it. Buy an old VW bug. Easiest clutch replacement ever. Easy engine to work on, easy transmission to work on. You don't need fancy features like heat or windshield wipers that work.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Most pickup trucks are easy to work on.

Reply to
« Paul »

What about sedans?

Reply to
kb1jec

Forget sedans. The work space is usually pretty cramped and not at all easy to work on. Get a P/U truck.

Reply to
« Paul »

Sure, between here and my signature:

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

It's easier to learn to use the clutch properly. It won't wear out then.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

At the risk of sounding like the "Ole Geezer" of this thread (been driving for over 55 years, maybe 30 different vehicles.). If you practice proper driving techniques, you should be able to get 150 to 200k miles without clutch problems.

The only clutches I have had to replace were both in 4WDs and only after I over worked them on pulling loads the engine wasn't strong enough for. Once, pulling a stump and the other while hauling a tractor with backhoe with my

2.8 liter S10.

Bottom line, if you can't drive without slipping the clutch, get an automatic.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Not it if is a 4 WD. There are the worse to work on.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Oh, I forgot about those. Agreed, they are not fun to work on.

Reply to
« Paul »

Any RWD passenger car from the 60's like a Dart/Valiant, Falcon, Chevy II etc. Also FWD Volkswagens are pretty easy once you get a couple special tools (namely the cheesehead driver for the CV joint bolts)

that's about it, off the top of my head...

nate

Reply to
N8N

They're all about the same. Mileage and maintenance history will affect your costs more.

Reply to
Misterbeets

I am surprised that no one has mentioned a late 80's / early 90's Lemans. Easiest clutch to replace that I have ever seen. That is because you do not have to remove the transmission. It is a transverse mounted engine/transmission with front wheel drive. The transmission has an access plate near the left front wheel. When this access cover is removed, the transmission input shaft can slide back, partially coming out through the access hole. You then remove the cover at the bottom of the trans to the engine. You remove the bolts to the pressure plate and rotate the flywheel untill all blts are removed. The pressure plate and clutch will drop through the bottom. When replace, slide the input shaft back in place and you are in bussiness.

just my opinion Pat

Reply to
komobu

Most people don't even need them, unless they're living out in the country / on a ranch / in the mountains where they'd be going off paved roads often. The extra weight of the front differential, driveline, and transfer case just sucks down gas mileage for the average in-town 4WD owner (whom rarely even uses the 4WD system.)

-LMB

The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Porsche 928. Just drop the access cover, slide the shaft back out of the clutch (the transaxle is in the rear, the clutch is in the front) and unbolt the clutch assembly. Depending on your exhaust configuration, there might be a Y pipe that needs to be removed first (not difficult).

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I believe the 968 (but NOT the 944) has a similar arrangement. However, there's other considerations that make a Porsche a bad car to own if cost of maintenance is your primary concern... :(

nate

Reply to
N8N

The OP asked about easy, not cheap. ;-)