common rail diesel injectors?

I believe it is to achieve finer and more controlled atomisation of fuel in order to satisfy aforementioned demands which are sometimes in conflict. Other systems are, of course used in conjunction with high pressure injection, and most of these have also been mentioned and they combine to provide more quiet bang for your buck with less pollution. Have you not read the whole of the thread or have you some difficulty of comprehension that has not been satisfied by any contributor or links posted or even by a rudimentary search using appropriate medium?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Have you not read the whole of the thread or have you some difficulty of comprehension that has not been satisfied by any contributor or links posted or even by a rudimentary search using appropriate medium? ===================================== Lets see.... I guess the answer is no, because I have NOT "not read the whole thread". In fact I STARTED the thread. I asked a couple of questions, and your answer told me to look in google, how stuff works, and "I havent got into it that deep". Great response. You sound irritated that I even asked a question about how electronic diesel engine controls operated. And you misspelled piezo.

Reply to
BobG

Let's see...

1) You wanted to start a discussion and glean answers about a particular subject 2) Some very knowledgeable and courteous responses were offered 3) Things didn't go as you had hoped so you berate someone* after someone* wondered if you were trying to find out any info on your own after being given so much to start with

FOOTNOTES

*someone = Huw This can be figured from the context of the messages, but it sure would be easier if you were to QUOTE MESSAGES, as suggested earlier (nicely) by Don Stauffer.

And as intelligent as Huw seems, my bet is that he hit an extra 'z' while typing 'piezo'. Whoopty Doo...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

And as intelligent as Huw seems, my bet is that he hit an extra 'z' while typing 'piezo'. Whoopty Doo... ============================ naaah.... he did it twice.....

Reply to
BobG

You are correct. I did not know how to spell it. [slaps wrist hard]. I apologise profusely for this heinous crime.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You had better apologize! And while you are at it, punish yourself for trying to be helpful...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Huw retreats to the woods to find Ash twigs in order to flail his back.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The point is that common-rail will not even FUNCTION unless the rail is above cylinder pressure. Higher pressures allow ramped injection rates with good atomization, but I was talking about the bare minimum, in comparison to old systems which used a plunger to create ultra-high pressures a) ONLY during the injection event, and b) only within the injector body itself, rather than in a distributed plumbing system.

Reply to
Steve

Steve: The point is that common-rail will not even FUNCTION unless the rail is above cylinder pressure ============= Thanks for clarifying that. So that answers some of my questions from the 1st post on the 15th.... its a variable displacement pump.. (still wonder how much HP it takes to maintain pressure in the rail), and how fast the injectors and actuating solenoids open and close. I assume that while open, fuel flows at a known rate based on pressure.

Reply to
BobG

From some fairly recent cylinder pressure data I have seen, the maximum pressure is closer to about 220 bar.

Reply to
dyno

Forgetting the rail, no other injection system will either.

Higher pressures allow ramped injection rates

Most older [pre 80's] systems used either a rotary or in-line distributor pump with long high pressure lines between the timing case or camshaft driven high pressure pump[s] and the injectors which either injected directly into the combustion chamber or indirectly by firstly injecting into a precombustion chamber from which the flame would propagate.

Huw

Reply to
Huw