compression fittings on brake lines

On 04/12/2013 11:59 AM, Nate Nagel anosognosically driveled:

eh? why does the needle on my irony meter seem to be all bent up like a watch spring???

oh, it's nate spewing "advice" on the interwebs.

Reply to
jim beam

But there are plenty of vehicles out there factory sold without double flares but ISO "bubble" flares as I discovered to my chagrin when I had to replace the first brake line on my first GTI :( And it took me quite a while to find an inexpensive ISO flare tool, but this was back when the interwebs weren't as developed as they are today.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No argument here, I'm glad I don't live in MD anymore. The inspection there is brutal; I failed once for a windshield that was "too sandblasted" I shit you not and had a friend have to replace her exhaust system because the inspector told her that he wouldn't pass it if an exhaust shop welded a dime-sized patch over a hole in her muffler. I'm all for safe and reliable, but that's just ludicrous.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

hey, we're trying to have a serious discussion here, it was going well until you shat on the carpet.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yes inspections are brutal, but you only have to do them once.. They failed my windshield on an old car I used to own for the same reason ( it did need to be replaced). Headlights & ball joints always seem to fail too even when the ball joints are new.

As for the exhaust they probably figured since someone welded over a rust hole that the muffler was probably full of rust. Plus that hole can easily open back up. Not all that ludicrous.

Reply to
m6onz5a

On 04/15/2013 11:16 AM, m6onz5a wrote:

It actually wasn't repaired, she never knew the hole was there. It was a factory stainless system in excellent shape, it looked like one of the drain holes in the bottom of the muffler just opened up a little bit through corrosion. The car wasn't even noticeably louder than stock and there weren't any leaks/holes anywhere in the exhaust other than that one little hole in the muffler. The system could have lasted another 10 years or so with a proper repair, but the guy was a total jerk to her and told her that she had to come back to him for reinspection by law (I believe that to be true) and that he would fail her unless the entire exhaust system was replaced (it was a welded assembly from the cat back, and he insisted that no component replacements were acceptable.) Even if welding the muffler were unacceptable I do not see why the muffler alone could not have been replaced and the midpipe reused - like I said, IMHO they are over the top ludicrous and cause people to spend money that they don't have to. He also failed her for a crack in the windshield that was at the upper left corner; technically illegal but couldn't even be seen from the inside of the car. She ended up spending about the value of the car just to import it into MD for those two items alone; the car itself was in good shape as I had gone through the suspension and brakes and replaced her clutch hydraulics for her and hadn't noticed anything amiss either by inspection or from test driving the car.

The car that I took through and failed for the windshield should have failed - but for a failed brake proportioning valve that I deliberately did not repair to give the inspector something to catch that I was going to repair anyway. He missed that but nailed me on the windshield which was in fine shape. However I didn't fight him as it needed to come out anyway as it was glued in but leaking around the edges so I just had it replaced instead of reusing the old one.

My impression of the MD safety inspection is that it must have been enacted through heavy lobbying by car dealers to make private party car sales damn near impossible.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You may do it once, Many states do it yearly.

Reply to
Steve W.

Most of the yearly inspections are usually just a safety inspection (brakes, tires wipers, exhaust etc)

as for the drain hole having a little corrosion that is all he needed to see. I still don't know why just the muffler couldn't be replaced? If he had issues in the past letting vehicles slide through he could have been extra thorough. Who knows.

Reply to
m6onz5a

replying to Nate Nagel, RedRooster wrote: Hey Nate just to let you know...

RedRooster