Compression Fittings On Brake Lines ?

Hello:

Several years ago, i had a few brake lines repaired at a service station due to their rusting out. Have a '97 Buick LeSabre.

Since then, no problems.

I just brought the car in for a state inspection at a local Buick Dealership, and they said that it would not pass as the service station that did the repair apparently used compression fittings, rather than swaged, on the brake line fittings.

So,

I guess swaged would certainly be better, but is this something I should now make a big deal over with the service station that did the work a few years ago ?

Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be swaged ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Robert11

They should be flared brake line fittings. I would not trust compression fittings to hold and not leak.

Reply to
Brent P

In NYS this also applies, I have failed several vehicles for compression unions, double flared is required and recommended.

Reply to
maxwedge

Some compression fittings probably are rated for the pressures experienced by brake tubing, but in general it is considered poor practice to use compression fittings on brake tubing. Additionally, most state inspectors will automatically fail a car if it has compression fittings on the brake tubing, and your "mechanic" should have known that - pretty much universally, the only fittings acceptable are double flares (or similar ISO "bubble" flares) or bolted fittings with copper washers (i.e. banjo fittings or threaded ends, usually used on rubber hoses.) Unfortunately for you, probably the only way to get your sticker is to have the repairs redone by someone who knows how to use a double flaring tool.

I don't think that i need to add that you probably shouldn't go back to that mechanic again, either.

The good news is that flaring steel brake tubing is NOT rocket science

- I could hook you up.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Compression fittings are ok for water plumbing,but for steel brake lines,NO. I would not trust them at all. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Having recently done some stainless hard line with swagelock compression fittings for 4,000 psi high pressure air service I can confirm that there are indeed compression type fittings that are suitable.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's interesting. Here in Virginia, I think that is legal for state inspection.

It's worth at least calling them and letting them know.

Compression fittings give me the willies. I'd replace them, whether or not the safety folks required it. But that's just me, and I tend to be paranoid about such things.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I have also worked with Swagelock type fitting for years, and have great confidence in them. But the question is, are they acceptable by the inspection authorities in all the states??

We should have (or maybe DO have) an FAQ section for important issues like this that keep recurring. Does anybody know if we do, or how to start one if not?

Reply to
<HLS

I doubt they would be acceptable at first glance. If you provided the inspector a copy of the specs sheet for the Swagelock fittings they might agree they were acceptable and ok them. Of course the Swagelock fittings cost more than the already acceptable double flare connections, though they are easier to install with limited access.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.