compression test variance

Ran a compression test on my car because it had been running hot. Was told that it could be a head issue.

Cylinders 1, 2 and 4 had the same result: 185 psi.

Cylinder 3, however, was way out of whack. 162 psi. Squirted three shots of motor oil into the cylinder, ran the test again, and that brought it in line with the others -- 185 psi.

Haynes is telling me that this indicates worn rings. Worn rings doesn't sound good.

My question is is this 12 percent difference portend a major engine overhaul in my near future or is it more like a noisy muffler in that it isn't right, but it isn't the end of the world either? Right now the car isn't registered, just came out of a year long storage.

Don't know if this is related, but a clicking sound is coming from the valve cover. Click, click, click, click, click -- kind of like when you were a kid and you clothespinned playing cards to your spokes. I'm guessing that that is valves or lifters, maybe due to the car sitting. Changed the oil and added some Mystery Oil, but no change.

Reply to
denaman

I would pull the plug on # 3 and squirt some kerosene or PB Blaster penetrating oil into the cylinder and let it sit for a few hours. This might free up a maybe stuck ring.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Reply to
Mike Walsh