Considerations for transporting extra fuel for emergencies (such as running out of gas, etc) in a passenger car

What are you using to carry extra gas/diesel for emergencies? Plastic or metal container? cabin or trunk? I have a wagon so I wonder if carrying the gas container in the cargo area is any safer than the cabin though.

thanks

Reply to
I hate front wheel drive, most torque must go to the rear

Is this stuff any good???

m6onz5a

"I hate front wheel drive, most torque must go to the rear" wrote in news:lhlngt$4v0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Nothing. I do not run out of gas. And haven't since the mid-'80s, in spite of covering about a million miles since that time.

You mean for when YOU run out of gas, or for when yoyu're scoming to the rescue of SOMEONE ELSE who has run out of gas?

If the first: don't run out of gas in the first place. If the second: put the can anywhere where it will be stable and secure.

Any auto parts store sells legal gas cans. Metal or plastic doesn't matter so long as it's a legal can.

Reply to
Tegger

Do not transport it in your wagon. Period! The entire car will stink for a couple of days after you remove the can.

Sam

Reply to
somick

I would tie it to the roof. Breathing ANY amount of BTEX is not a good idea.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I was going to say that....also place a sign that says, "please don't steal me, my owner is reeeeaalllly dumb"

GW (ran out of gas once, when I was 16)

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

When I was about 18 or so I went to the local pool hall and spent several hours shooting pool. My '64 GTO convertible was full when I got there. About 1/2 way home the car quit and tank gauge said empty. Someone got about 15 gallons of gas for free that night.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Paul in Houston TX said

Yes, but you were driving a 64 GTO Convert. You still win! :-)

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Yea, I foolishly gave it away for $50 in ~1974 and bought a 69' Vette, which I totaled two years later. The GTO was an Ohio car and rust rotted out pretty bad.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

No stinking with the metal container. But I was hoping for a metal vs plastic discussion here.

Anyhow, regarding my beater sedan, given that the rear seats are not foldable what are my options for DIY firewall.

I'm thinking fireproofing the trunk facing side of the seat hopefully improving sound deadening in the process.

Reply to
I hate front wheel drive, most torque must go to the rear

For LONG term storage metal is the way to go. It will hold gasoline far longer with less loss of volatiles than plastic.

Plastics prime advantage is corrosion resistance.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wish cars still rotted out that way. People wouldn't still have, and bring to the shop, all these damn 1990's vehicles that I don't wanna work on anymore!

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh said

I can image that. I used to turn a wrench and have always thought the task must be a lot more difficult than years back. I have a 99 Monte with 200K that still runs rather well. I'm intrigued what odd things might start failing.

A buddys, 400K, S10 just needed a new PS pump pulley. Apparently, pulling/installing this pully on several pumps over the years has "wallowed" out the ID. LOL

They certainly last longer than years back....

Reply to
Homer.Simpson