Contaminated Diesel Fuel ???

2000 express van diesel engine, fuel contaminated, fuel appears cloudy(milky). shop has drained the tank and changed filter however vehicle still won't start.they are suggesting a $3,000 injector pump. Any thoughts on possible contaimination, could the pump be worn out 200,000miles.API index is 38 of recovered fuel.
Reply to
gdmcknight

Water.

shop has drained the tank and changed filter however

Is this shop familiar with diesel motors?

Yes it could very well be.

Reply to
John S.

I have no experience with this vehicle, but we had an old VW Golf diesel that suddenly began suffering from water in the fuel.

I assumed I had gotten a bad tank of fuel, but it turned out that the filler tube, which was exposed to spray from the rear right wheel, had rusted out on the top side, so whenever you were driving in wet condition, you would slowly fill the tank with water and grime.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Measure the pressure coming out of the pump. If it's okay, you are more likely to have clogged injectors. If it's not, pull the pump and clean it out.

Maybe, but you don't know until you take it apart. It could be gummed up by contaminated fuel and just need to be torn down and cleaned. It could be worn out. Or it could be fine.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey