Coolant leak has me stumped 1991 Chrysler

I drove my 1991 LeBaron this afternoon from work to run an errand on the way home. The car is running like new even though it's odometer is showing 96K miles.

Ok, I came out to the parking lot after a 15 minute soak to discover the front passeger side tire in a puddle of steaming coolant. I raise the hood, and the entire bottom of the radiator is wet and steaming with coolant. I grab the flaslight, and try to look around. The AC compressor is a bit wet, but my bypass hose is fine, upper and lower radiator hoses look good, serpentine belt is dry. Overflow tank shows coolant level right below the 'max' level.

I drive home (approx 2 miles) and park out in front of my house and raise the hood. BONE DRY! No coolant, no wetness???

I shut the car off, grab a can of club soda, and wash off the radiator, AC compressor, etc, etc. Let everything dry.

Pull the car in the garage on ramps, grab my work lamp, and climb underneath. No sign of a leak, everything is dry? Took off the radiator cap, and it is above the neck with coolant.

So, I start the car, and let it idle until the fan comes on, and crawl under. No leaks, let the car idle another 11 minutes, fan back on, no leaks. Shut the car off.

It has set in the garge on ramps for three hours. No leaks???

I assume that perhaps this is an early pin hole in the radiator, any other suggestions?

Thansk for the advice. Have a nice weekend,

Bill

UPDATE: The coolant level is good, both in the radiator at the neck, and in the coolant overflow. I have not added any coolant.

The car sat overnight with no leaks.

I just drove the car 12 miles, and no leaks.

I'll call about a pressure test.

BTW, not only does none of the auto stores loan pressure testers, but no one sells them, either. Sears has a nice one for $90, but it is mail order only.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
billccm

I once had an intermittent coolant leak in the heater water valve on a Caprice. Some day sit would leak and some days it wouldn't. I've also had the crimp on end tanks leak in cold weather and then stop when they are warmed up.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I have seen water pumps do it, too, on a couple of occasions...

Reply to
<HLS

May have had a air pocket in the cooling system that has now been relieved, if it dont leak anymore i wouldnt get real concerned about it. Brett B.

Reply to
Malibu81