cooling system woes with S-10

Got a '97 Chevy S-10 pickemup that is losing coolant from the cooling system frequently. Had a water pump go out a couple years ago, so doubt it's that. Besides which the temp just went on over like it would peg out if I didn't shut down, with the water pump problem.

I note that everytime I stop, I have coolant pool under the right front side, and have to add coolant to the plastic expansion tank.

I'm assuming the plastic tank has developed a leak, down out of sight.

How do I change out one of these expansion tanks? I see there's a flat, black box with fins kind of thing mounted on top of the expansion tank. Is this something for the home mechanic? Or is it definitely a "take it to the shop" kind of thing?

Reply to
RB

tweety

almost sounds like you may have a thermostat issue or a bad fan. is the fan electrical or clutch operated? could also be a bad hose. worst case senario is a blown head gasket but doubt it. if you dont want to risk ruining your engine i would take it to a shop just to be safe.

Reply to
tweety

almost sounds like you may have a thermostat issue or a bad fan. is the fan electrical or clutch operated? could also be a bad hose. worst case senario is a blown head gasket but doubt it. if you dont want to risk ruining your engine i would take it to a shop just to be safe.

Reply to
tweety

Reply to
tweety

I have a 96 S10 with a 2.2l 4 cylinder. The intake manifold gaskets on these are made of plastic and notorius for leaking.

I changed the fluid from dexacool to regular green glycol and added a bottle of stop leak. No problems since.

Good luck!

Paul

Reply to
pauls