Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

I hope it can be treated ;>)

Reply to
hls

I've treated it to Celica seats and a yearly Simonize... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.

Greg

Then you will probably survive this infection.. Best regards

Reply to
hls

When I gave the shock test to my 280z, it would just bounce up and down. Keep doing that and they would stiffen up, and that the way it was after installing Koni adjustable shocks. I adjusted them about half setting, yet I never read anything about being self adjusting.

Had installed heavy duty anti sway bars. The big change was going from

195HR70 tp 195VR70. Very go cart like after doing that. VR speed rating. They were michelin XWX which michilin made for the Ferrari. Tires were very good but not linear breakaway.

Greg

Addiction is more like it! Even better than amphetamines!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time. Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old, speed rate S.

Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce oil foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?

Reply to
Dan

cavitation. if you force the piston through the oil fast, at low pressure, a cavity will open up behind it. when that cavity collapses, you'll get a bump.

foaming is dissolved gas forming bubbles due to cavitation that's not redissolving quickly. it's an issue in ride smoothness because gas bubbles pass through valves much faster than oil - you get a bump as the piston moves fast as the bubble go through, then a bump as it hits fluid again.

Reply to
jim beam

My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber compounds.

Reply to
Steve Walker

so you might think, but it doesn't work that way. flexing helps reduce overall energy absorption because it's not being dissipated in bumping

3000+ lbs of car up and down. also, energy saving tires have rubber with low hysteresis, not low flexibility.
Reply to
jim beam

The best energy saver is a narrow tire. Lower aspect ratio tires also give less give. Generally suspensions are tailored to the tires used. My Avalanche rides very nice even with 275/55-20 tires.

Greg

displacement has nothing to do with it - it's all about hysteresis. look it up.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:P6GdnTQDyrpkmkrQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

and once again you got it wrong. its all about less rolling resistance which is a large part less flexing too. less flex less rolling resistance. hiper milers do it to some extent with very high tire pressures, also enhanceing less rolling resistance. every time the tire flexes it is trying to climb up hill. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

go ahead and read the wikipedia article for "rolling resistance". it's confused because some of its contributors are, but it at least hits some of the points. the part on inflation pressure should interest you. or not.

Reply to
jim beam