Corolla FX 1988 not FX16 shifting (MT)

This is a 1988 Corolla FX (not an FX16 :( ) with 188,000 miles on it.

When shifting through the gears, if the lever is in 1st, 3rd or 5th, stepping on the gas makes the lever move about 1/2-3/4" in one direction, and letting off the gas moves the lever back the same amount.

Also, going from 3rd to 2nd or 4th to 2nd (like, when some moron backed out right in front of me...) makes a crucnhing, that seems to be coming from under the floor at the console. Normal upshifts 1st to 2nd are just fine, goes right into gear no crunching. Only shifting down from a higher gear makes a crunching, and that's if you shift normally. If you move the lever from 3rd to neutral and then neutral to 2nd, no double clutching, it shifts just fine.

I thinkk the first problem is probably motor/tranny mounts, and the second...er, bushings...I hope....

I haven't bought the car yet. It's in Good to VG condition. Needs some suspension work and maybe a clutch.

I'm betting, if I do buy it, it will be an FX16 by the end of next summer... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I also think your mounts have gone soft, for starters.

The crunching sound is hard to fathom. It could be in the clutch, throwout bearing. Could be deeper in the tranny case.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
hls

I haven't bought it yet. But I want to turn this:

Into this:

It means scavanging my beloved Corolla GTS for a pile of parts. (Engine, interior, and whatever suspension will fit) The body on the GTS is pretty rusty, the FX is basically sound.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B