Corolla stuck in park.

2 weeks ago i bought a used 1993 toyota corolla, automatic trans. 140,000 miles.

After two weeks it got stuck in park. No owners manual came with the car. Someone told me that unless you have your foot on the brake pedal it will not move out of park. I tried it and it works. Is that the way it is designed or is it still malfunctioning?

Other. For two weeks it seemed to stick when moving out of park. The time it got stuck in park, the front wheels were wedged against a curb. Could the pressure of the curb pushing the car back made it stick?

Now that i am off the curb, and push on brake pedal it comes out of park fine.

Reply to
Jessica Hill

Normal and designed that way.

Yes the pressure of the vehicles weight on the parking pawl made it stick.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes.

Not necessarily.

Yes.

1993, 140K. Count your blessings and keep up the requisite maintenance (lube changes, etc.) and it should be OK.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.