Correct Tire Pressure ?

Ha, I didn't think of that. I haven't had any of those tires since...

1986... and don't miss replacing them.

I didn't mention that pushing pedestrian tires in corners can cause a low pressure wear pattern if you don't know what you're looking at. Like whats'isass's Impala he thinks is unalignable.

But I think the principle applies to performance tires that are babied; the wear pattern will be about at the edge where the average motorist can imagine that of a pedestrian tire would be.

My point is, if you know your tires, you don't need chalk. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

The trouble with that statistic is it's based on tires that were bought and installed "new" and then driven on for 10,000+ miles per year. It doesn't show whether a tire you put in proper storage 10 years ago would be a problem if you were to start using it when it's

10 years "new".

IMHO what you are seeing in all the "guidance" on tire age is based on people 1) not wanting to be sued and 2) people wanting to sell you new tires.

The reason, again IMHO, you see them setting the acceptable use range at generally 6 years and maybe as long as 10 is because it they set it any shorter then 6 years it would be awfully hard to sell a higher priced 70,000 mile guarantee tire to someone while at the same time telling them they will need to replace it any sooner then 6 years (most people drive about 10K a year).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

it's not even that simple. some tires sold have been in legitimate and safe storage for may years thus you can easily [and safely] be 4 years into your "6 year limit".

bottom line, and to repeat, tires do not rot on their own. there is nothing that a simple visual cracking inspection cannot and will not give you for a full and complete safety check - completely ignore this "year limit" bullshit.

Reply to
jim beam

ha, maybe. assuming he's actually driving the thing that fast. way he speaks, he's the guy that everyone on the freeway is rear-ending.

indeed. but as evident from this thread, nobody knows tires. [yes, gullibility for this "6 year limit" bullshit gets right up my ass-crack.

Reply to
jim beam

People often if not usually don't know or question the credibility of their source/s.if the info doesn't sound too crazy...

I thought I knew a little something about tires until I started reading a tire column in a now defunct trucking periodical, written by a woman, Peggy Fisher.

Those columns would make a great resource, but it looks like they're long gone.

Comparatively, I know nothing. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

True. The science of this is not a certain one.

Reply to
hls

no, let's get this absolutely straight - the science is very certain.

the only thing that's uncertain is the ability of people like you to apply a little logic to, and filter out the statements of, the sales and lobbying pervs that want to blow smoke up your ass.

Reply to
jim beam

it's the people like you that "know what they don't know" that truly have a grip. it's the people who have no idea what they don't know that have the problems. particularly when they don't even know enough to even ask questions but still think they have opinions.

Reply to
jim beam

I hope so. Ask me, "Whaddaya know" and my standard reply is, "Nothin', for sure...", and it's true.

I blame my generation of parents and the politically correct bullshit that tells every idiot that no matter how ignorant and/or stupid and/ or functionally illiterate and/or dead wrong they may be, their opinion is valid.

The bullshit is long out of the bag, no putting it back in. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

What is this, a meeting of the know-it-all mutual-ass-kissing society? Looks like. Don't know us know-nothings would survive without you two. Thanks for your service. Now carry on with you mutual ass-kissing.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I inflate my tires to 36-38 psi. They run fine. I have never had a blow out. Tires might blow up but I doubt that it's ever due to too high pressures. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll also probably get a little better MPG.

Reply to
dsi1

I inflate my tires to 36-38 psi. They run fine. I have never had a blow out. Tires might blow up but I doubt that it's ever due to too high pressures. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll also probably get a little better MPG.

Have always set it to 35 PSI with my own air pressure device when cold, usually the next morning after a service. Car handles great, tires going on

8 years with about 50% thread left. You have to ask yourself, the tire information plate on most cars says 30 psi, and that provides a soft ride but where do the manufacturers get that data -- from the tire companies. Now what tire company in their right mind would have you set something to extend the life of their product so you wouldn't buy early.

Additionally, when in for service, I request 35 psi, the mechanics set it to

30 psi, telling me it's for safety purposes. I tell them the tires are hot so 30 psi will under inflate the. Deaf ears. So when I get the dealer service questionnaire, I always rate them unsatisfactory or the lowest I can. Always get a follow up call, tell them the car rode terribly after I had service, didn't know why, went to local mechanic, everything OK after that. Usually get a discount coupon for the next service to compensate me for my troubles and keep me coming back. Discount is usually 50%, go figure.
Reply to
Bluto

The old school guys - they like their psi at something like 27. :-)

Reply to
dsi1