Corroded Battery Terminal Replacement Guide - 2005 Toyota Corolla S

The five year old battery in our 2005 Toyota Corolla S finally wouldn't start the car last week. I popped the hood and the plastic cover over the positive battery terminal. I noticed a lot of light blue corrosion dust around the corroded terminal.

I went to Wal-Mart and got a new battery and replacement terminal. I took pictures of the repair process and wrote up a quick guide.

Here's the guide -

I hope some of you find it useful. The total cost of the repair was about $80 including the new battery for $75.

Cheers, Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Reply to
Paul Michaels

Paul Michaels wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a31g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

That's nice. Next time be CAREFUL when tightening the teminals.

People reef them, bend them and end up cracking the case/terminal seal. That's what causes the corrosion.

All you need to do is gently snug the nut so you can't rotate the teminal by hand. And it helps to support the opposite side of the terminal as you tighten to keep the terminal post from rocking and cracking the case seal.

Reply to
Tegger