Cost to Replace Ball Joints 1997 Toyota Previa

I have a 1997 Toyota Previa with about 80K miles on it, driven about 10K miles per year, and maintained on regular Toyota maintenance. During today's change of oil and filters, the tech said there is a problem with the ball joints under the vehicle and they need to be replaced. I also need new shock absorbers and a coolant flush. They want to charge $2200 for this, which I assume is about 300% of the real price. :)

Can someone tell me first what is a ball joint? That's the repair they are stressing is a potential emergency. What are the typical failure modes for this part and what is the impact of that?

What would be a reasonable repair cost for each of these, for a minivan such as a Previa?

- ball joint replacement

- new shock absorbers

- coolant flush

Would the ball joint be something you would only want repaired by a Toyota dealer?

Reply to
Will

That seems a little high.

It's part of the steering system. As it fails, your steering gets looser and looser and then suddenly you find yourself going over the guard rail at a very high rate of speed.

I dunno, depends on the parts price, but I'd figure something around three or four hundred for labour. None of these are hard to do and they are all things that ought to be done as part of regular maintenance.

No, it's an easy thing to do. Just make sure the guy that does it uses OEM parts and you'll be fine.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The smiley face means the comment is made in jest.

The point of the post was to ask humbly what is the correct price.

None of these conclusions follow from the premises. First, you cannot conclude anything about me from such superficial questions. Second, what does the sentence "People like you are the ones who...." That is virtually incoherent. Third, how do you get to the conclusion that someone is going to get screwed, or that the person is stupid, or that the person has a bad attitutude, from any premise? You are developing three different conclusions all from an unstated premise, all based on casual observation of superficial remarks. All of your comments read like wild, unreasoned, and unjustified rambling.

If you had followed the thread, the quote I received *was* from the Toyota dealer.

If the amount I was being quoted was inline with a reasonable quote, wouldn't that be a more reasonable point to make?

Reply to
Will

"Will" wrote in news:rJidnS0v4IV1REXbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I think the idea of the ripoff price thing is a sore point with "*"; he probably hears that all the time. I know I do, and I'm not even in the business. And when you hear the same thing all the time, it is simply an irritation and not a joke, smiley or no.

Often called the "stealership" by those same people who gripe about ripoff prices.

An anecdote: I was in the drug store yesterday where two older teenagers were trying to buy bottles of water. I overheard them talking disgustedly about how it was a "ripoff" that they should have to pay 99¢ for water. Remembering a time when you couldn't buy water AT ALL, I just rolled my eyes.

Reply to
Tegger

Absolutely not.

In the Napa Online site, they list front ball joints at about $45 each. Shock absorbers vary, but use the high estimate of about $70 (also NAPA)

Add about $60 each for tie rod ends, and they list both inner and outer, per side.

While you are under there, check the boots to see if they are cracked and consider replacement.

You can flush the radiator and block yourself, if you want it done.

The total of parts mentioned above add up to some money, but even with labor $2200 seems quite high. You may not even need some of those things.

Find an honest and competent independent garage and get a second opinion.

Reply to
hls

Hey, I remember when you could buy a milkshake and a sandwich at the drugstore and get the water for FREE.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

No sh*^, Scott. We never bought WATER.

Reply to
hls

Agree with hls. Find a good independent garage and get a second opinion. Ball joints allow the front suspension to travel and the wheels to turn for steering. They should last longer than 80k on a gently driven vehicle. Provided the ball joints dont have cracked grease seals nor excess play, they should be good at this mileage. I think your mechanic should put the car on a lift and double check the items your dealers claims need replacement. If you car has a pitman arm that is more likely than ball joints to need replacement at this point.

The owners manual offers recommended service intervals. I've always had good luck changing my oil/filter at 3K intervals, my air filter and fuel filter about annually. Each oil change do a good inspection of drivetrain component and lube points. I change the every 1-2 years as ethylene glycol oxidizes to a di-acid which can cause corrosion in the radiator. Probably a idea to change brake fluid every two years as it is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air which could cause corrosion and failure. Brake lining life varies tremendously based on your driving style and braking technique. Rotate your tires and periodically balance and check for abnormal wear indications.

Data point for comparison, my Tundra developed the infamous "click and no start" indicative of worn starter contacts. The local dealer quoted me $400 for the starter and about 10 hours labor. He wanted $25 for each starter contact part (Toyota starters are mechanically bullet-proof but the contacts wear due to the current passing through them with each start). I purchased the contacts from a local electrical supplier for $5 and bought new manifold gaskets from the dealer for $30. Four hours later and about $40 in parts if you include greases, antiseize compound and other miscellaneous, I was good to go. My 'yota has 110K miles and if it is like my previous Toyotas, it will last me over 200K before I sell it in good running shape.

Don't take the ignorant remarks from mean people personally. Best wishes.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Once I had to pay a nickel for the cup, cover and straw, though.

Reply to
clifto

Will,

You're being taken for a long ride, it'll be bumpy enough to empty your pockets!!

First off, call around and check on prices for ball joints, and shocks. Call your local NAPA, AutoZone, then call your local dealer. Buy where you feel comfortable buying... Then, whilst driving home from buying said parts, look around your neighboorhood for someone who might also be working on their vehicle. Maybe fancy asking them if they'd be interested in making some money working on your vehicle...

you'll laugh when it's all said and done... you were quoted $2200 and you'll probably end up spending less than $1k... oh yeah, the coolant flush? Should cost you the price of the coolant... flushing isn't tricky... it's not even hard.

RedForeman

Reply to
RedForeman

Take your 1997 Toyota Previa car to two or three independent shops and get their opinion about the ball joints.I don't know about Toyota vehicles, (because I have never owned one before.I remember when Toyotas sold in America were called Toyopet and Nissans were Datsun, Datsun is Japanese for, Blue Bird) but I have replaced a few ball joints before.It's more or less a straight forward job to do.If you do it yourself (there are at least two different size forks/tools, you would probally need to buy one, unless NAPA or whichever store will loan you one.The tool looks sort of like a large two prong fork and a heavy hammer is used on the handle of the fork to seperate the old ball joints) of if somebody else does it for you.Be sure to get the front end realigned after the job is done. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin