Cost to replace valve cover gasket?

Hi all,

I'm about at my wit's end here. I'm currently on my 4th mechanic, and am very worried he's going to go through the $900 I still have left, and then some. Problem is: car doesn't start.

The first mechanic is a guy who just fixes cars in his driveway, without a shop or proper tools. He said it wasn't the fuel filter or fuel pump, but he thought it was something electrical. I told him I expected the spark plugs were bad, and he didn't even look at that.

next, I took it to Pep Boys. They said that cylinder number one was bad, that the engine had no compression, but they they don't know about fixing no engines so I'd have to go to a place that does fix engines. $100 please.

Next, I took it to the Saturn Dealership. They said the compression is fine, the engine is still good, but it needs a valve cover gasket. Apparently they didn;t even try to figure why it won't start; they just took a look at the spark plugs and said: "oh they are covered in oil, that's got to be the reason." They also said it needed some other minor stuff that is not about getting it to start, like a coolant temperature sensor and a tuneup. $915.00. So I took it out of there to get another opinion. $95 Please.

Now it's at mechanic number 4. At least he said: "let's get it to start first, then figure out what else is wrong." Ok so he's replacing the spark plugs and spark plug cables, putting one new tire on it (that went flat while the car was just sitting for a month), and doing his own diagnosis. $550. wow. I only have $350 left.

So if I can't afford to pay this guy to do anything else, which I think is likely, I may have to take it somewhere to have somebody just open up the engine, slap a valve cover gasket on it and close it back up again without doing anything else. Shouldn't it be possible to get that for about $350?

I understand it takes specialized tools and training to be able to do it, but shouldn;t I be able to find some place that would just change the gasket and get it done for about $350?

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

"> I understand it takes specialized tools and training to be able to do

I dont know much about Saturns, and I would guess the particular engine and configuration in your car would be a determining factor.

On some cars, you can have the valve cover off, the gasket changed, and the whole thing back together in just a few minutes.

And then there are the OTHERS, which a valve cover gasket replacement is similar to an archeological dig.

Maybe if you post the year, model, and engine of your Saturn, someone can get to specifics.

But in general terms, yes, on "most" engines I think you can replace a valve cover gasket for $350 or less.

Reply to
hls

Oh right, I have a '93 saturn SW2 station wagon.

I just got word from the mechanic, and he says it's fixed and ready to go, that eventually it will need the gasket replaced, but not yet.

It just needed the plugs and cables replaced. So I went through all that, and $750, just to replace one tire, spark plugs and cables. faugh.

Thanks hls.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

Oh right, I have a '93 saturn SW2 station wagon.

I just got word from the mechanic, and he says it's fixed and ready to go, that eventually it will need the gasket replaced, but not yet.

It just needed the plugs and cables replaced. So I went through all that, and $750, just to replace one tire, spark plugs and cables. faugh.

Thanks hls.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

Plugs on that car take 30 minutes to change if you take time out for the three S's. It takes more time to take the wires out of the box than it does ot put them on the car. I would be asking how in the hell they are charging 550 for this an a tire?!?! Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Good Grief... This car, as far as I can tell, is a standard four cylinder. Replacing the valve cover gasket, unless there is something unusual, should be a piece of cake

Ditto plugs and cables.

A tire should not run much over a hundred bucks.

Maybe I am very wrong, but seems out of line.

Reply to
hls

Did you pay all those places to fix or diagnose your problem or to merely take your money? I can understand paying a mechanic a diagnostic fee without getting the car fixed, but if they say they're going to fix it or they replace parts, shouldn't your car come back to you with the problem resolved? I hoped you paid by credit card so you can get your money back easily, and if any of the garages are AAA approved, AAA will arbitrate any dispute, even for non-members. Another thing: in some areas AAA has diagnostic centers, but I think they're only for AAA members.

How can a valve cover be in such bad shape that it actually prevents a car from starting? Wouldn't it have to be losing chunks and letting tons of oil drip out? OTOH if it's just leaking a bit, can't you just keep checking the oil level and wipe off the drips every few days? BTW it doesn't take much oil to create a fairly large puddle -- try pouring a tablespoon of water on the driveway and see how much it spreads.

When Pep Boys said that one of the cylinders had no compression, did they actually measure the compression? Because I heard a local Pep Boys tell a customer who was getting a tune-up that his engine had no compression in one cylinder, but I think it was due to the spark plug not firing, not due to a leaky cylinder. BTW don't take a car to Pep Boys for diagnosis because around here they're terrible at that, and in the case of that customer I mentioned, when he asked the mechanic what the printout from the tune-up computer meant, the mechanic said he didn't know.

Wow, $350 to change a valve cover gasket. At some places you can get a head gasket replaced for that price.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That's why I hate taking my vehicles to a mechanic.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher