Cracked Head Need Advice

I installed a new head on a my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. The old one cracked. The Jeep has 78,000 miles. When I drained the oil about a quart of pure anti-freeze came pouring out first and then came the oil. I don't know how long the engine was run with this oil & anti-freeze mixture. When the engine is started cold the oil pressure gauge goes to 50lbs.and drops to 40 after warming up. Would it be a good idea to remove the oil pan and clean it out and make sure that the oil pump screen is clean or would this be a waste of time considering that the oil pressure isn't real low. Thanks for any advice.

Dennis B.

Reply to
Dennis524

That oil pressure isn't bad on a 4.0. What is it at idle after it's warm? As for the cleaning. Not really worth it as long as you changed out the oil and filter a couple times. You could run some flush through it if your really worried but I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for your response. When I had a Fram oil filter on it the oil pressure gauge would fluctuate with rpm, 20 lbs.at idle and up to 40 lbs.at around 2000 rpm I changed to a Mobile 1 filter and the gauge reads 40 lbs, at idle and up to 50 with increased rpm. Why would the oil filter have anything to do with regulating the oil pressure? I didn't have the Fram filter on for very long because I was flushing out the old oil.

Dennis B.

Reply to
Dennis524

Different internal construction and flow abilities for the two brands. That pressure should be fine.

Reply to
Steve W.

Dont even bother unless the oil pressure drops dramatically. Coolant/water will evaporate after a while assuming your tstat is bad. HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932

I'm not a big fan of the orange can, although I have not heard of it causing problems with oil pressure (usually it's a nonfunctional ADBV or the can physically blowing apart.)

That said, there's really only one thing to worry about and that's corrosion of the bearing material due to exposure to water. If you've "flushed" the oil (I assume that that means that you changed the oil, ran it for a while, then changed it again) you've done all you can. It'll either hold together, or oil pressure will drop. In any case 40 PSI hot idle is fine, I would not spend any time at all worrying about it unless it changes in the future.

nate

Dennis524 wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel