Crazy driving laws in your state or country

Nice read fail. Thanks for more evidence you're functionally illiterate.

Right.

Riveting analysis.

That's gibberish.

Uh huh...

Horseshit. NHTSA only received hundreds of complaints.

Be that as it may, there ain't much brouhaha over DRLs.

Red herring. We've all experienced that. Do you have any evidence that that doesn't occur in Yurrup?

What's that work out to, in mph, in expectation of being blinded at any second by glaring DLRs in daylight conditions? 5 under the speed limit? 10 under?

You're doing something for the economy, anyway. Your headlights cost more than the poorly maintained shitboxes in which you put them are worth, by weight.

Pity the NHTSA doesn't have any experts, they just pull their specs from their asses. It seems odd you'd have any problem with that. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Unless you're being sarcastic, that's the truest statement I've heard you say. And no wonder that you tend to side with them instead of the actual experts.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Of course you think so, there's no evidence to support it.

I always side with the evidence. All you have provided is your opinion and what you purport to be the opinions of "actual experts", which I don't think you have the expertise to distinguish from a fart.

The evidence suggests there are few if any credible complaints such as yours. 10,000 complaints wouldn't be enough to suggest they aren't primarily from k00ks such as yourself.

No one seems to be operating more slowly or cautiously expecting to be blinded at any second, day or night, including you and me.

How do you explain that? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It's also 70 mph on I-66 west of Centreville (maybe another 5 to 10 mph further). It's also 70 mph on I-64 once east of Charlottesville IIRC. I don't know about I-95 though.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Filtering is the term normally used - at least by people from the right side of the pond. More logical term than "lane-splitting", certainly.

Reply to
Tom $herman (-_-)

I was told by a Colorado State Patrolman back in the mid 1980's that they did not normally ticket for less than 7-mph over the limit.

Reply to
Tom $herman (-_-)

Most cars, except for the cops, seem to comply.

I thought it was just Saturn that used high-beam DRL's (along with putting the headlights close together, making the car appear farther away than it actually is at night)? At least I have only noticed the annoying glare from Saturn DRL's.

As a motorcyclist, I hate the idea of DRL's on cars.

Reply to
Tom $herman (-_-)

Plus they make it easier for idiot cagers to miss motorcyclists.

(Now if only people with loud pipes were run over, that could be considered a good thing).

Reply to
Tom $herman (-_-)

s:

Which the DRLs call your attention to. There is a distinct benefit for running with lights on in daytime but low beam only.

Thinking back the only "glare" I can recall were always the blue light ones.

Harry K.

Reply to
Harry K

"Nick Naim" wrote in news:CLSdneFe0de2zp7NnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

heh,so much for the "center HIGH MOUNTED stop light"... I don't know how the MFGs get away with a CHMSL that's so low.

If they actually are high mounted,they are of some help.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

ough.  Most cars, except for the cops, seem to comply.

Saturns are by far the worst, but I have seen apparent high beam implementations on many vehicles, including some that I think to myself "they should know better" like BMW (e.g. circa Y2Kish 3-series) as well as some others... Was stopped at a light on the way to work this morning and because this thread had come up I was paying attention to the DRL position, most of the oncoming vehicles had high beam DRLs, I specifically noticed a GM pickup truck (stacked headlights, lower lights in stack lit) and a Toyota something or other car... this wasn't inadvertant headlight/high beam use because parking lights were not lit.

nate

Reply to
N8N

There is a difference between lane-splitting and lane-sharing, in Cali the former is illegal and the latter is legal. In a practical sense, riding between cars forces you to split, but the LEO's will normally leave you alone as long as you don't look like a nutcase. And I've been startled by ChiPpies on their bimmers hitting the ABS at high speed through stopped freeway traffic like total nutcases. The term "doored" should be self-explanatory.

The real problem is they are useful for two lane roads in Canada but effing stupid where LA is just one big freeway. In other words, a single standard is over-simplified.

Not sure I quite understand that, but I must take this opportunity to once again complain about motorcyclists riding with their brights on. Come on, people, painfully bright lights make people look _away_ from you when you want them to be looking _for_ you!

Bright lights from motos or cages in side view mirrors are dangerously distracting in any event.

jg

Reply to
jgar the jorrible

I had a Milwaukee cop on an Electra-Glide pull up beside me in the ~4-foot wide space between the white line and concrete barrier on the High-Rise, while traffic was in the 55-mph range. Pretty stupid.

Of course, then there is this: .

In the US, all street certified motorcycles have had the headlight(s) automatically on since sometime in the 1970's (no off-on switch, just a low-high beam switch). If only motorcycles have lights on in the day, that makes them more distinctive, than if a bunch of the (obviously) much larger cages also have headlights on.

Or low-beams on any stock Ford F-150 that looks like this: .

Reply to
Tom $herman (-_-)

If every passenger vehicle had DRLs the typical semi-conscious motorist might mistake a bike for a car instead of "looking" and seeing an empty road. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Reply to
Tom $herman (-_-)

No more weird (or accurate) than the requirement to drive wearing a foil hat.

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Oh, now I get it. Squishier the target, brighter the decoration. Perfectly sensible, except maybe for the rural two lane road case, where any head-on won't end well.

My '73 Kawasaki had that. The battery shorted out one moonless night when I was doing 55 on an unlighted rural road near Isla Vista, causing the generator to blow out all the lights and the engine to die. Funny how those things happen after the warranty runs out.

jg

Reply to
jgar the jorrible

>> -----

I don't know if E-code is the cause but after riding in my brother in laws BMW, which has low beams with extremely sharp cutoffs I am no longer a fan of that kind of design. The cut off is so sharp that it provides Zero illumination to anything on the road or side of the road more then a couple hundred feet ahead. It makes it exceptionally likely that you will not see an animal or pedestrian on the road till you are so close to them that it's almost impossible to avoid them. Also did not illuminate the signs till you were almost on top of them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The MC issues goes to the heart of the bad research people use to support their DRL love. When DRL's were first instituted and it was RARE for a car to have it's lights on during the day people naturally took notice of that oddball idiot who was driving around with his headlights on. Consequently accidents involving DRL equipped cars went down. What was not measured of course was whether those distracted by DRL drivers accident involvement went up, it probably did since they were looking at the DRL car instead of what was going on around them. Once DRL's become ubiquitous and the novelty is gone they just become more "noise" in the driving environment and the magic safety benefit disappears. If I put several spinning pinwheels atop cars and then studied the "safety benefit" of equipping all cars with spinning pinwheels I have no doubt that the research would show a great safety benefit. But only a fool would think that if all cars had spinning pinwheels on them it would make us all safer. Or if you really like flashing colored lights we could put police light bars on all cars, wired to run anytime the car is moving, surely that would make the whole driving environment SOOooooo much safer.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher