Crooked Steering Wheel

My steering wheel on my '99 GMC Yukon is crooked. It is turned a few degrees to the left when the truck is travelling down the road straight. Tires are worn evenly, and the front end is lubed every 5k miles or so. The vehicle has 51k miles. I know an alignment should fix this, but why would the steering wheel do this? Does this mean a steering component on one side has more wear than on the other? Seems to me that if all steering components were wearing evenly, the wheel would stay centered, but perhaps the toe would be off, for instance. I don't remember any of my cars doing this, except if I had an alignment and they didn't center the wheel. Any ideas?

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Does it do it on all roads? Many vehicles will do this on crowned roads.

Reply to
Steve W.

Does a different driver drive this truck at times? maybe a young teen? Sounds to me like someone hit a curb or something with the frontend. Some roads are pretty rough lately, maybe you have hit a bad pot hole or two. You did not mention if the truck has always had this problem.

Reply to
ferretkona

No, no other drivers. It just recently developed the problem, which is why I'm puzzled about it. I don't remember any potholes that I hit hard enough to cause something like this and I'm sure I didn't hit any curbs.

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Add up the wearable parts on the front end. Then total the' little wears' for each component, realizing that for ~6-7 years it has been driven, and wearing, while possibly rolling along a road crowned down to the right and with steer. wheel being pulled--ever so slightly--to the left to offset the crown, and it can very well be there from normal wear. (If the wear concerns you, and with only 51k miles on a '99, I'd love to relieve your concerns by purchasing it.;) HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

If not worn or broken parts, check for tire pressure if you havent allready.

Reply to
paulv

A low tire can cause it.

Mike