Cruise control

i notice new cruise controls keep the speed very constant. Up hills it makes shifting very noticeable and wastes a lot of gas. one should slow down up hills. The very old ones did this because they were poor. I notice most people want to speed up going up hills. Some macho thing. We could probably save 10-15% in gas slowing down. The cruise control people should add an option using tilt, to sense you do not have to maintain sped up hills. Just a button away.

greg

I dont know that you are right about this. Our Avalon shifts down on hills and the revs go up, and you would think that would be the absolute worst condition. But, on the highways, even with this aggressive cruise control, that car gets between 32-35 miles per US gallon.

Reply to
hls

I experimented on my 2001 Cavalier, doesn't have cruise. going over heavy terrain I averaged 34 mpg trying to keep it in overdrive, slowing up hills averaging 65 mph. Probably could do over 40 mpg on flat land. (Also let it speed up down hills going as fast as 80.)

My Avalanche averaged 18 mpg, could probably do 22 mpg or more on the flats.

I experimented on my 2001 Cavalier, doesn't have cruise. going over heavy terrain I averaged 34 mpg trying to keep it in overdrive, slowing up hills averaging 65 mph. Probably could do over 40 mpg on flat land. (Also let it speed up down hills going as fast as 80.)

My Avalanche averaged 18 mpg, could probably do 22 mpg or more on the flats.

***** I dont know that this proves anything.

We have a Sonoma pickup, 4 cylinder, and it has NEVER given 20 mpg.

The Avalon, IIRC, is 268 HP, and gives much more than this, especially when cruise control takes over.

?????

Reply to
hls

My 93 Dakota 6cyl 170hp gets 12 mpg on city commute. About the same on highway as my 310 hp avalanche.

I just override the cruise and put my foot down when I see the hill coming up, so I DON'T have to downshift to get up a hill.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Are you saying that you run a cruise control on a manual shift tranny? (I havent seen many of those)

I let the cruise do a lot of my driving. Mine is a 5 speed automatic, by the way.

Reply to
hls

I've had three of those so far and have been very happy with the combination. If the range of torque required is great enough that you have to shift gears to keep the engine happy, you probably shouldn't be using cruise control on that road.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Hey Scott, I love being retired!!!

Greg

Got one in my Mazda (Aftermarket) that was set up wrong, so when you hit the clutch the revs climb. Good thing I can shift quickly!

Got one in my Scion, Factory. When you hit the clutch it kills the cruise. Also had one in an old (it was NEW, then) Honda.

ALL Hondas have cruise, IIRC.

I use the cruise quite a bit, but when I come to a hill I kill it and override it, maintaining speed until I can turn it back on again without it dropping the throttle to the floor.

Easy to do in the Scion

Not so easy in the Mazda...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B