Cutlass Antenna help needed

We have a 90 Cutlass Ciera SL with power antenna issues.

I am looking to disconnect the power to the antenna when it is in the up position because it won't park fully all the time so it kills the battery sometimes.

Would anyone know if there is a fuse or relay for this that I can pull or do I have to start taking things apart?

I didn't see anything obvious for a fuse...

Thanks,

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Check your email for wiring diag. (from 'mitch'.) No fuse, but a cct-breaker with an up-wire, a down-wire, and a 3rd one for luck--I mean for ground. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks, it saves a bunch of tearing apart I really didn't want to do!

I would figure that breaker is one of the two in the fuse panel and will try there first.

Gotta expect some TLC needed when buying hundred dollar cars eh. It is a nice runner that passed emissions and safety easily but came with 'nice' booster cables. LOL!.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

I fixed this once on a early 90's olds....if memory serves me right the relay for the power antenna is behind the glove box. If you unplug the relay the antenna will stay in whatever position it is currently in.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks for the hints and wiring diagram.

Turns out on my 90, the relay is under the fender skirt by the antenna base so I opened it up and just had to snip the one dark green power line and cover the ends up with some heat shrink.

We now have a conventional 'up' antenna.

Mike

Mike Roma> We have a 90 Cutlass Ciera SL with power antenna issues.

Reply to
Mike Romain

I did hear a ticking I thought was coming from behind the firewall in the glove box area so you are likely right.

My local dealer said it was at the antenna base so I opened the fender skirt just enough to pull out the wire loom and just snipped and covered the power line rather than try to get room to unplug anything. As it was 2 out of the 4 plastic 'plugs' holding the fender skirt just fell out of the metal backing due to rust rot so I stopped when I had the room for the basic snip.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain