CV boot repair without removing axle?

Is there any way to repair a cracked CV boot without removing the axle? The repair only need to last a year. The only thing I could think of is to use duct tape, but surely there is a better solution? Perhaps someone sells a quick patch for torn CV boot?

Reply to
peter

Don't waste your time with a split boot. At most, it will last 2 weeks. Bite the bullet and remove the axle, grease it, and install new boot.

Reply to
Tripod

There is a split boot that can be installed without removing the axle. I have not had good luck with them however. You might want to give it a try if you just need short term relief.

Reply to
HLS

Maybe I got lucky but I installed a split boot about 10 years ago and I ran it

4-5 more years before selling the car. It was one of the ones that glue together (had a U-shaped grove that the other side slid into). Anyway, maybe I got lucky but I have never been able to fine another one. I've installed several of the normal ones (disassemble the axel) and they are lasting a couple of years at best (the car gets a lot of mile, will turn 200k in a couple of months) so that may be part of it but the split boot probably had 50-60K miles on it when I sold the car with 150K miles..
Reply to
bobby

I've used them on two occasions. Both lasted just fine till I got rid of the car, 2 and 3 years later.

Reply to
TCS

they make a nice kit:

You have to buy a cone, which you put over the outter c-v joint, after removing it from the bearing, then spray the cone with Pledge. Turn the new boot inside out, spray the poot up with pledge, and slide it over the cone, and onto the shaft.

Turn it right side out, clamp it and your ready to reassemble the c-v back into the bearing.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

You can get split boots that don't require you to pull the shaft. Will it last a year will depend on how much crud got in the joint. The best thing to do is pull the shaft so that you can clean the joint out and put some fresh clean CV joint grease in it. Then use a regular boot.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Any online sources for these split boots?

Thanks.

-Ted

Reply to
Ted Johnson

I took a Sentra to a Shell station that was able to use a tool to pry the axle apart without removing it, and replace a cv joint boot for me. Much cheaper than removing the axle. That was 8 or 9 years ago, so there are probably a lot of those "tools" floating around by now.

Reply to
Lecher9000

"Lecher9000" wrote

Boy, I'd sure like to see one of those "tools"! They probably told you that, and put a split boot on it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I guess the gas station mechanics are the only ones privy to the latest tools and techniques. Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote

Well, I really want one of those tools that can "pry the axle apart without removing it from the vehicle". That would be extremely handy.

I wish they would hurry up and develop a tool so that you can replace the crankshaft main bearings without pulling the oil pan off. And while they are at it, a tool to pull brake calipers off without removing the wheels would be handy (outboard calipers, any of you smartasses out there). I think I'll make a wish list of tools that I need.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Well, I checked it out afterwards and the new boot looked like a whole unsplit boot.

Reply to
Lecher9000