CVT Transmissions. Pros And Cons ?

Hello,

I have always had cars with automatic transmissions.

If I remember right, only some of,the Nissan's had a CVT type in the "past".

Now, two cars that I am considering apparently have CVT type. An Accord and the Subaru Outback.

Know nothing re CVT transmissions.

Might someone please outline for me the pros and cons of a CVT vs the regular kind of transmission.

e.g, reliability, smoothness in shifting, etc. Why don't all cars of this size use fhem ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

kind of transmission.

pros: cheap, reliable, efficient, offer great fuel economy.*

cons: if you believe the motor press, people don't understand that they're "continuously variable" and apparently need education that they don't naturally have "shift points".

they could, and usually do in every other global market except the u.s. but we seem either to have an acceptance problem [per the above, but the massive popularity of the toyota prius with true cvt shows that to be untrue] or the oilcos hate the prospect of significantly reduced fuel economy. so either we stick with older style fixed ratio transmissions with their torque converter losses, or we fudge cvt's by programming artificial "shift points" into them, thus reducing their efficiency.

Reply to
jim beam

ular kind of transmission.

because I-4s with exhaust system that did not receive any love from egineering typically sounds like something your dentist uses all the time -> few folks are looking to the constant 2-3k rpm drone of shitty sounding engine.

might've been better with a V-6 and even better with a V-8 but cvts had problem handling extra power a few years back

Reply to
AD

kind of transmission.

they're like any other transmission - you cheap out, you have problems. they're not inherently unreliable. as i understand it, they were first used in industrial drives for things like material conveyors. heavy average loads, higher peak loads, and long service lives.

Reply to
jim beam

Beg to differ with you on the "economy", especially when it needed servicing. The CVT in our Dodge Caliber fluid change required a special fluid, with microscopic beads in it, and cost $800 for the transmission flush and fill. Sure, it got over 33mpg on the road, but when servicing came, not so economical.

Reply to
sctvguy1

The CVT in our Dodge Caliber

$800 for the transmission flush and

when i say "cheap", i mean for the manufacturer. and it is. the fact that they're ripping you off at retail is because they can, not because they're trying to encourage you to tell your friends how great cvt's are.

oh, and your $800 "special" fluid is priced according to the utility value that you'll pay to keep a car on the road. what it costs to produce has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reply to
jim beam

Well, we got rid of that car and now have a standard rear-wheel drive Charger, with the 8 speed auto.

Reply to
sctvguy1

regular kind of transmission.

apparently they are not without a problems or their use would be more widespread and conventional automatics will die off. but that does not happen. primarily because a premium car automatic work is pretty much indistinguishable to continuously variable type. case to the point is the tune of bmw 335 8 speed. i don't think many people can feel when that thing shifts.

of course an automatic in a bmw is an abomination but proves the point that you don't really need a cvt even on a car with prodigious sound deadening all around (having lots of power for cvt to digest does not help either though I'm sure that bmw would've found a way if they were hurting for a cvt to go into their bread a butter car)

Reply to
AD

If they are like PIV drives I would think they are less able to accommodate high power levels.

tnom