Dash power drops out in '96 Lexus

Over the last few days, my wife's '96 Lexus ES300 has developed a problem I've never seen before. While driving or even just idling in the driveway, the power to the instrument cluster and radio will sometimes drop out for something like 3 seconds, then come back. I think the ABS light stays on but that's all. It's always the same length of time. I've tried wiggling the ignition switch but that doesn't cause it. The engine keeps running, but it's pretty unnerving having it look like you've turned the key off.

Opinions? Ignition switch going out? Some relay going out? Is the 3 seconds a built-in power-up delay?

Reply to
Paul Barrett

=== Try moving the dimmer adjustment and see if that has any effect.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
Paul Barrett

Loose connector. Cold solder joint on instrument cluster board or bad crimp on the fusebox. Pull the cluster and start banging on things with a stick until you can reproduce the problem consistently.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey