Dead battery - new battery

I had a problem starting my car one day, jumped it and it wouldn't hold the jump. So, I went and purchased a new one with the correct CCA (not that it matters in AZ). In any event, it started up and I drove it around a little. The next day I went out and the battery was dead. Deader than a doornail. All I got was grinding and clicking.

I did a little research on the forums and newsgroups and went out and purchased an EEC relay and a trickle charger. It took almost 2 days to charge up the battery, but it finally charged. I went to start it and with just 10 seconds of cranking, the battery went dead again. I put it back on the charger and within 10 minutes it was charged. Tried again, same thing. Within 10 seconds (no exaggeration), it was reading dead again.

Is the battery, or is it something on the car. I can not imagine any battery not being able to support a crank for longer than that. YEOW.

Thanks and take care, Sharon

Reply to
<lanesharon

You could be describing a dirty battery connection. Either right at the battery, which is most likely or at one of the other ends of the main battery cables.

High low really fast swings in power are almost always a bad connection.

A bad cell will drop really fast, but takes a long time to top up and you are on your second battery.

There always is the chance the new battery itself has an internal bad connection, things like that can happen, but the last one acted bad too, so...

Mike

Shar>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Approximately 11/3/03 19:45, Sharon uttered for posterity:

If you hooked the charger *directly* to the battery posts and not to the cables, it is likely the battery. Which should be under warranty if it is new. If you connected the charger to the cables so it can only reach the battery thru the cable connectors [this is the most common method] then it could simply be very loose and/or dirty connectors.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Just wanted to add one additional thing. I just went out and charged up the battery with the trickle charger (took less than 5 minutes from supposedly dead). Then I opened the car door only for a minute or less. Then I rechecked. Battery was dead again, but recharged on the trickle charger in less than a minute. This is so weird. I am hoping that someone here can give me answers. Thanks, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon