dead ignition switch in 95 GrandAm?

ignition switch in 95 GrandAm?

I think the ignition switch is gone in my partner's 95 GrandAm. It started to get 'iffy' - sometimes it would crank and sometimes not, and now will only start with the remote starter (no problems there). The ignition switch does not crank it when the key is turned..

Now - is this something to undertake at home and how would one go about it, or do you have to be armed with 14 unique tools and 3 weeks spare time to do it?

Any assistance appreciated. TIA.

Reply to
Ebeneezer Geezer

JimV

so it sounds like it is best left to a dealership? guess I'd better call around for pricing.....

Reply to
Ebeneezer Geezer

It's tough to say if it is indeed your ignition switch..... think for a moment..... you say that it starts fine when you use the remote starter, but not when you use the ignition key. What does the remote starter bypass that the ignition does not? Whatever it bypasses is probably your problem.

Good Luck..

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

It probably bypasses the ignition switch, with a deadman's cutout, since it starts without the ignition on.....

Reply to
Ebeneezer Geezer

These cars were recalled because the ignition switch could be damaged by overheating and potentially cause a steering column fire. If the recall fix hasn't been performed, check with the dealer, they should replace the ignition switch for free. (The fix was to add a relay to reduce the current through the ignition switch when cranking - it would be bolted to the radiator support behind the cooling fan and connected into the starter.)

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Are you sure about that? A '95 GrandAm? I will look into it tomorrow - that would be great if it were the case......

Reply to
Ebeneezer Geezer

The campaign is #00079B from March 2001, "Ignition Switch High Electrical Current". It covers the installation of the relay kit, as well as a new ignition switch if found to be damaged. 1995-97 Cavalier and Sunfire and

1996-97 Skylark, Achieva and Grand Am had the same problem, they had a separate bulletin #02008B.

"General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists and may manifest itself in 1994-1995 Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Achieva, and Pontiac Grand Am model vehicles. If the engine starter fails to engage and the driver holds the key in the "start " position for an extended period, high current flows through the ignition switch, and sometimes produces enough heat to melt internal switch parts. If the switch is damaged, a fire could occur in the steering column, even with the engine off and the key removed. The fire could spread to the interior of the car which could injure occupants of the car or cause damage to adjoining structures. Correction Dealers are to install a relay kit and verify that the vehicle will start with a properly charged battery in good operating condition (adequate reserve capacity, or cold cranking amps). This campaign does not cover battery replacement or unrelated starting system or electrical system repairs."

The exact VIN ranges covered for a 95 Grand Am are: SC700001 to SC857069 and SM500001 to SM634079.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thank you very much for the additional info. The vin of the vehicle falls right within that specified range for a 95grandam.

Armed with that info, I was able to get them to agree to take a look at it. I suspect they may try to weasel out of covering it unless the switch assembly is fused together, but maybe not. I am not really aware of how rigidly or what guidelines are used in a situation such as this. Most certainly the switch has failed though.

Reply to
Ebeneezer Geezer