Delo 400 15w40 in a gas engine?

Since Delo 400 15w40 is rather inexpensive, I'm thinking of picking up a case. Mainly it will be used in my XR400 motorcycle and my 157,000 mile Toyota 4-cylinder gasoline engine truck. The oil seems up to the task, my only worry is trashing the catalytic converter. The Chevron site avoids this topic. (Delo 400 in a gas engine.) From what I've been told my cat converter most likely stoped working many years ago. Oh, I'm in California and must pass smog tests.

Also, what's a good tool for measuring it out of the 1 gal jugs?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
Kev_XR

I use it in my higher mileage vehicles during the summer. I don't have a bottle handy, but I'm pretty sure it's rated SH? for automotive use.

Reply to
Bill Kapaun

I copied the following text from the Chevron web site - "Universal Protection for Turbocharged and Supercharged Diesel and Gasoline Engines" and "Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade is a mixed fleet motor oil recommended for all naturally aspirated and turbo-charged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API grade and SAE 15W-40 viscosity grade are recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions."

: Chevron Delo® 400 Multigrade Heavy Duty Motor Oil

Universal Protection for Turbocharged and Supercharged Diesel and Gasoline Engines With Chevron's Delo® 400 Multigrade heavy duty motor oil, you're using an industry-leading, premium-quality, "universal" engine oil that exceeds the performance requirements of naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged diesel and gasoline engines. It provides outstanding protection in existing and new engines, using low or normal sulfur fuels. It is unsurpassed in soot dispersancy, wear protection and sludge control to guard against loss of engine life and to help reduce fuel and oil consumption.

Delo® 400 Multigrade Heavy Duty Motor Oil 15W-40 Performance

First oil to allow the diesel engines of the three leading U.S. manufacturers to run for over 1,000,000 miles without an overhaul. It exceeds the tougher performance standards for the new API CH-4 service classification of modern, electronically controlled, low-emission engines.

It exceeds the performance requirements of the Mack EO-M Plus, Cummins CES

20076 and Volvo VDS-2 specifications. Its exclusive ISODEWAXING technology rivals synthetics in critical engine tests. It offers an optimal blend of dispersants, detergents, oxidation inhibitors, antiwear, corrosion inhibitors, viscosity improvers and defoaming additives.

Applications

Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade is a mixed fleet motor oil recommended for all naturally aspirated and turbo-charged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API grade and SAE 15W-40 viscosity grade are recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.

Delo 400 Multigrade is excellent for use in new advanced engines developed in response to 1998 and 2002 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbo charging, direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power density, intercooling, full electronic management of fuel and emissions systems, exhaust gas recirculation, and exhaust particulate traps.

It is formulated for superior performance with both normal and low sulfur diesel fuels.

This product is recommended for use in older engines, as well as in today?s most modern low emission designs.

Chevron?s primary recommendation for two-stroke diesel engines is Chevron Delo® 100 Motor Oil SAE 40 or 50, and specifically for the Detroit Diesel Series 149 engine ? Chevron RPM® Heavy Duty Motor Oil SAE 40 or 50.

Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade can be used in powershift transmissions requiring a Caterpillar TO-2 fluid.

Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade is recommended for use in federally inspected meat and poultry plants as an H2 lubricant where no food contact will occur.

Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade meets

API Service Categories CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, CE(1), CD(1), SL, SJ, SH(1), SG(1)

Regards,

Ed White

Kev_XR wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Can't figure out why you'd worry about this -- Delo 400 carries all current certifications for automotive service.

...measuring? Why? 1 gallon = 4 quarts.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

any engine oil rated for diesel engines will be fine in a gas motor as long as its the proper viscosity........

diesel engines are harder on engine oil than gas engines

Reply to
Elbert Clarke