Dex Cool

I understand that Dex Cool has had some problems. My question is, is the Prestone 5/150 (orange) the same formula and does it have the same problems? Any thoughts or halucinations about this ?? Mike

Reply to
Mbflash

Dex-Cool uses corrosion inhibitors based on OAT, organic acid technology, which is good for protecting certain very specific combinations of metals against corrosion in the long run, but which cannot combat short-term corrosion of more electrolytically-active metals found in systems not specifically designed for OAT coolant. OAT inhibitors are also highly aggressive to certain seal/gasket materials commonly found in systems not specifically designed for OAT coolant. Using OAT coolant (Dex-Cool or "just like Dex-Cool") in a system not specifically designed for it will tend to cause carnage. I tried it in four different vehicles ranging in model year from 1962 through 1995, and wound up replacing four radiators, four heater cores and two heater control valves due to rapid and severe corrosion, and two head gaskets due to rapid and severe dissolution of the gasket facing laminate at coolant passage junctions. Experiment over, never again.

Even GM vehicles specifically designed for OAT haven't been immune from problems caused or exacerbated by that coolant formulation.

HOAT coolant (hybrid organic acid technology) is a different story. It

*does* have the ability to protect the more electrolytically-active metals, and is theoretically formulated not to attack gasket materials. It is commonly known as "G-05" coolant and is OE spec in Ford, Chrysler and numerous non-US makes. It is being touted as a "works in everything" coolant; I'm taking a bit of a wait-and-see approach.

Resources:

Daniel J. Stern

I ingested a small amount. Friday. If I don't die tonight I should be ok. Well, that plus an intestinal virus. Take care, guys.

wws

Reply to
wws